Any way to run IE6, 7 or 8 on OS X? Need help

Reaction score
I work in the IT department for a small health care company that owns several nursing homes in the state of Rhode Island. Our network is based entirely on PCs ( I no, sorry sorry :Shouting:), as is our medical software. The vendor we use to outsource our medical software was programmed with Internet Explorer in mind (the app is web based).

Often we have medical physicians visit our facilities, all whom have PCs. However we have one particular doctor who has a MacBook (not sure if it's a pro). I BELIEVE it's OS X. When running the website in Safari, Opera or even Firefox, he can not access everything that he desires to complete his assessments. He NEEDS some version or IE6 or higher.

Is there anyway possible to run IE without installing the windows OS on a separate partition (VMWare or Parallels)? With a quick Google search I found an app called WineBottler. Not sure how legit it is.

Basically I am asking for any help that the wonderful Mac community can give me :D

Thanks in advance

-A frustrated Windows user

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
IE6 is most likely the only version that can be run through WineBottler or similar scheme in some limited fashion..IE7 or IE8 will not work..

Ideally, if you were to use VirtualBox (Free VM), or VMWare, or Parallels..you'll still need a copy of Windows to run within that VM and then you can use IE6-8 or whatever the latest version is..

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
ies4osx, a project designed to allow you to run IE in OS X, became WineBottler. I don't know what versions of IE WB will support but it's worth a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
I work in the IT department for a small health care company that owns several nursing homes in the state of Rhode Island. Our network is based entirely on PCs ( I no, sorry sorry :Shouting:), as is our medical software. The vendor we use to outsource our medical software was programmed with Internet Explorer in mind (the app is web based).

Often we have medical physicians visit our facilities, all whom have PCs. However we have one particular doctor who has a MacBook (not sure if it's a pro). I BELIEVE it's OS X. When running the website in Safari, Opera or even Firefox, he can not access everything that he desires to complete his assessments. He NEEDS some version or IE6 or higher.

Is there anyway possible to run IE without installing the windows OS on a separate partition (VMWare or Parallels)? With a quick Google search I found an app called WineBottler. Not sure how legit it is.

Basically I am asking for any help that the wonderful Mac community can give me :D

Thanks in advance

-A frustrated Windows user

OMG... spent years getting way from those... First Google Chrome, then MAC now Google Chrome on MAC :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Safari preferences and select to install the Develop menu. From the Develop menu: Click on "User Agent", then select IE 7 or IE 8. That will cause Safari to emulate and present itself to the page as IE.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does that not just identify Safari as IE7 or 8? If it does, that won't work in testing whether the page works properly in IE will it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.