Newbie Keyboard Issue (Home, End, Shift etc)

S

shade73

can someone explain to me why I cannot hit the Home key & have it and go back to the beginning of *some* text boxes? I also can't use the end to goto the end of a text box, or shift home to goto the beginning and select all. Can I check an option to allow me to do this?? Sorry for asking such a dumb question, but I'm the only one in my group with a mac ;).

AK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Keyboard editing commands are very different between the Mac and Windows. Some general ones:

Home: scroll to top of document
End: scroll to bottom of document
Page Up: Scroll up one screenful
Page Down: Scroll down one screenful

Command-left arrow: go to end of line *
Command-right arrow: go to beginning of line
up arrow (in a text field): go to beginning of text field (one-line text box)
down arrow (in a text field): go to end of text field.

Shift-up arrow: select everything from current insertion point to the point immediately above
Shift-down arrow: select everything from current insertion point to the point immediately below

Some applications may have different editing keystrokes, but most behave this way.

( * "Command" is the key on either side of the spacebar, often with the open-Apple logo)

OP
S

shade73

Thanks, that's exactly what i needed to know! Thanks for responding so quickly!

OP
S

sp44

What about the number keypad? I can never get that to work. Am I missing a num lock type key?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
sp44 said:
What about the number keypad? I can never get that to work. Am I missing a num lock type key?

On a desktop Mac, the number pad types numbers.

On a laptop, you can hit F6 (num lock) to enable part of the keyboard as a one-handed number pad.

OP
S

sp44

technologist said:
On a desktop Mac, the number pad types numbers.

On a laptop, you can hit F6 (num lock) to enable part of the keyboard as a one-handed number pad.

What about using an Apple keyboard on a PC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.