New iPad plans from ATT no more unlimited.

Reaction score
iow - they want to cut back on streaming content.

Means no downloading of HD movies via 3G on your iPad.

This is one of those times that makes me feel like they're snakes in the grass.

And I didn't buy the 3G version.

U.S. is adopting many of the 'practices' of Canadian wireless providers. We have only 3 major carriers - serious lack of competition.

I first noticed the 'bundle' ads in US a few months ago (bundle land line, cable and internet and save 15% ) . We've had those for years.

Now you've adopted our 'limited' plans. We had those before data was prevalent.

Nice to export something south, apart from good beer.

You're welcome. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
According to the Apple site if you scroll down to plans if you order before June 6. in the on-line store you can still get unlimited. iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
last time I check American craft beer has been better than Canadian beer these days

just saying :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
As I've seen written, there is the option to return the iPad within two weeks. I'm betting there will be some folks who return the 3G version due solely to the changed data plan. It's sounding like the best option is an Android based phone with the iPad tethered to it.

Reaction score
Bait and Switch

Wow, not even a month and the number one selling point for the Ipad 3G ( unlimitted/non-contract) has gone bye bye. I know they say that if you have the unlimitted plan now you can keep it, but we all know it is only a matter of time before they take that away or jack the price so high no one can afford it. Att and Apple had to know this was comming down the pipe, but as we all know, as long as Apple can make a buck they will stick it to us. The Ipad is supposed to be an all powerfull media device, but I guess that is only as long as you dont go over your minutes. I so enjoyed streaming TV shows and movies. ATT and Apple, next time please give us a hug before violating us like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
The whole iPad 3G advertising campaign in America was based on the unlimitednplan by both AT&T and Apple. Apple had to have had prior knowledge that this was coming. I feel totally ripped off and lied to. I hope someone initiates a department of justice investigation as they sold a million 3G devices based on fraud.

Reaction score
Wow, not even a month and the number one selling point for the Ipad 3G ( unlimitted/non-contract) has gone bye bye. I know they say that if you have the unlimitted plan now you can keep it, but we all know it is only a matter of time before they take that away or jack the price so high no one can afford it. Att and Apple had to know this was comming down the pipe, but as we all know, as long as Apple can make a buck they will stick it to us. The Ipad is supposed to be an all powerfull media device, but I guess that is only as long as you dont go over your minutes. I so enjoyed streaming TV shows and movies. ATT and Apple, next time please give us a hug before violating us like that.

Do you often stream movies and TV shows using the 3G network? Is it even possible, and if possible, is it fast enough to watch it in good quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I think this is the 'ol bait and switch by AT&T.
Offer one service and when it comes time to but said service you find it's no longer available only some 2nd rate garbage at twice the price. This is simply AT&T seeing at one point, hey we can get more money if the remove the unlimited plan.

Why are Apple the 2nd biggest company in the world now? Cause they made products that gave the people what they want. Maybe AT&T could learn from this and also give the people a product/service they want and not some 2nd rate garbage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
While AT&T will grandfather data plans for iPads that were purchased before June 6th, if you don't Auto Renew the unlimited plan, the data plans revert to the new data plans. Sort of a contract to keep the unlimited data plan.

I have no intention of using 3G all the time, just when I need to. That's why I purchased a 3G iPad due to no contract, and pay and use as I need to. AT&T changed the rules before the ones with 3G iPads had a chance to use the service. 2 months is not a reasonable time. If AT&T had waited a year before changing the rules, it would be reasonable.

In the meantime, my 3G iPad is stuck at the FedEx hub in ANC. Just cleared international shipment.

Reaction score
Do you often stream movies and TV shows using the 3G network? Is it even possible, and if possible, is it fast enough to watch it in good quality?

Yes, netflix works great. I can also stream over 3G from my nas drive while I am away from home. 2 to 3 movies will hit the 2 gig limit and I was watching at least 1 a week. That's why I spent so much cash on this overgrown iPod. I call it that now because I guess I will have to spend the time converting my movies to mpeg4 and syncing them through iTunes again, just like my iPod touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Gizmodo has a very interesting article detailing exactly how much you can stream under the new plans. While the point of the article is to convince the reader to get the $30 unlimited plan, it helped me in my decision to switch to the cheaper plan.

They tested streaming video over 3g on Netflix:

"Netflix: When we watched an episode of Netflix (Arrested Development) running 21:54, 55MB of bandwidth was used; so, let's say 22min is 55MB, then Netflix consumes 2.5MB for every minute of streaming video watched. Therefore:

A half hour TV show (~22min.) on Netflix would consume 55MB of data
An hour-long TV show (~43min.) on Netflix would consume 110MB of data
An hour-long movie on Netflix would consume 150MB of data
An hour and a half movie on Netflix would consume 225MB of data
A two-hour movie on Netflix would consume 300MB of data

** In total, you could watch 13.65 hours of programming on Netflix before using up all your bandwidth. This assumes you do nothing else on your iPad that month to eat up your bandwidth. (And remember: the average American watches over 150 hours of television per month alone.)"

To me, 13.65 hours of video streaming over 3g is enough. 90% of the time I will have wi-fi. For the times that I am out and about and need 3g to watch streaming video on the go, I don't think i'll go past 13.65 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info eliehass. That's a bit more than I expected, but still easily chewed up (by me at least) on a week long business trip or a weekend in the sticks. Entertaining kids at the in-laws alone will eat that up quickly. I'll have to pass on the 3G iPad. Honestly, having thought it over, it makes the choice easier as 3G is no longer an option for me. I'll tether or just download video before I travel. Saved $130 due to AT&T's new pricing, plus whatever I would have spent on a data plan. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Have to totally agree with your assessment, and doubt we're the only ones who are in the same boat. If 2 gigs = almost 14 hours worth of streamed data, which is 7 full length feature films or 14 hour long shows or 21 half hour tv shows, then I don't really see any benefit for the user if they're traveling a lot, especially in places where wi fi isn't an option.

I don't get it, I mean... isn't the whole point of the iPad for it to be the ultimate portable device ? Everyone has agreed that it's not a laptop/notebook replacement. We've also agreed that it can serve up content like an iPod, but better because of its screen size. The size of its screen also lends to new ideas for apps, but more so for when you're on the road.

After all, are you really sitting in your house streaming Netflix or Hulu on an iPad when you've got an laptop which can hook up to your TV? Sure, sure... you can hook the iPad up to a tv as well right? But then what's the point of the iPad after you've done that? People's main points of contention with the iPad in the home is that it's more convenient to sit with, vs an laptop, so you're actually more apt to hook your laptop up to the tv for streaming via wifi, over the iPad...riiight?

So again my question is, what's the point of 3g if the data is limited? Not everybody is able to just squeak by using such limitations. A lot of people might fill that criteria, and a lot of other people are now simply going to deal with it because they've already signed up and have no choice.

I'm just stuck struggling with the notion of watching every bit of what I do so that I don't get more of my money yanked from me, by a bunch of gipsy thieves. And the real kick in the face followed by a dousing of lemon juice on the open cut, is the whole tethering bit. I mean... are they for real? I can hardly believe that it's legal for such a thing to take place.

You're already capped at 2 gigs with a set price in a contract. But now you've got a separate data usage terminal, and they charge you more for it, all while using the same data in the previous plan???????!

I've never liked lawyers or the concept of suing anybody, but this goes beyond frivolous and IMO should be dealt with by means of civil and public jurisdiction.

And quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised that Apple would agree to have these terms be in place. Very disappointing.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me at least, they pretty much turned it into what they insisted it wasn't - a big iPad Touch with better graphics a and more storage (for more money). The sad part is that I was a nay-sayer for a while, but had been coming around to liking the device in recent weeks. Ah well, more money for me.

Reaction score
I honestly am not going to read what has been said on that topic, but FYI I got my iPad 3G this morning and AT&T offered 3 options for the cellular plan:

- 250MB for $15 a month
- 2GB for $25 a month
- Unlimited for $29.99 a month

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I honestly am not going to read what has been said on that topic, but FYI I got my iPad 3G this morning and AT&T offered 3 options for the cellular plan:

- 250MB for $15 a month
- 2GB for $25 a month
- Unlimited for $29.99 a month

I'm assuming that you are already an ATT customer with an unlimited data plan then ? If so, what's your point. If not, would you mind explaining how that's possible ?

Doug

Reaction score
I'm assuming that you are already an ATT customer with an unlimited data plan then ? If so, what's your point. If not, would you mind explaining how that's possible ?

Doug

First of all Doug, I don't like your tone. Second of all, if you are asking me if I already have an unlimited plan with Att through my iPhone for example, then yes I do and if that was your question, I didn't know, if that is a correct assumption, that having a plan with AT&T for the iPhone had anything to do with it.

But if you are not asking me the above, then I have no idea why there is still an option to get the unlimited plan.

Satisfied?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.