New iPad plans from ATT no more unlimited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not true you still can upgrade to a new iPhone and keep your unlimited plan I have a friend who is pretty high in ATT and I have been on the phone all day with him, so as far as I know you will be able to upgrade your iPhone and keep your plan, new iPhone users will not have. A choice

If we go by precedent, the original iPhone data plan was $20. When the 3G came out, upgraders were forced to pony up the increased $30 charge. So forcing people upgrading to the fourth gen iPhone to downgrade to the 2GB plan is not completely out of the realm of possibility.

AT&T is the type of company that doesn't know its face from its behind, I wouldn't be surprised if your buddy turned out to be wrong, regardless of how high up he is.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The plan doesn't impact current users, just new ones. In fact, it doesn't impact current users when they reneaw their plans. This has been made clear by AT&T. Bottom line, this doesn't hurt me.

I do a fair amount of web browsing on my phone, Facebook, Yelp, some YouTube etc and my usage for my current billing cycle (ends today) is 572Mb, now that icludes all data, including e-mail. Frankly, I don't see this a such a big deal. what I DO think sucks is the price plan. 2Gb for $25/Month? Really? Maybe if it was $15 or $10 for that amount it weould seem better...

Yeah it does suck for some though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Actually, I believe you are incorrect about the iPad only have a single option. I believe the $15 for 250MB is still available since there is no mention of it being taken away. Therefore, the only change is to the formerly unlimited iPad plan.
You are probably right. I just didn't see them mentioning the $15 plan for the iPad so I assumed it was taken away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro with 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1066MHz DDR3, 500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm, HiRes AntiGla
I work for at&t. Apparently, if you already have an unlimited data plan on your iphone or ipad, you can keep it. The $30 data plan never had a cap. The $60 aircard plan was capped at 5Gigs but that wasnt a secret. My understanding is that starting monday the plans will change so my recommendation to everyone with a 3g ipad would be to sign up for unlimited data today with a credit card that your going to have for a long time, lol. Also, if you have unlimited data on your iphone you can keep that plan, even if you upgrade to a new iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
the new plans come into affect on june 7th, everyone can still get it, and who ever has it still its grandfathered at unlimited, current subscribers of the unlimited ipad plan shouldn't worry cause you won't be forced into a 2GB plan.

AT&T will grandfather ones that have it, the 2GB plan affectd NEW ipad owners

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
The plan doesn't impact current users, just new ones. In fact, it doesn't impact current users when they reneaw their plans. This has been made clear by AT&T. Bottom line, this doesn't hurt me.

I do a fair amount of web browsing on my phone, Facebook, Yelp, some YouTube etc and my usage for my current billing cycle (ends today) is 572Mb, now that icludes all data, including e-mail. Frankly, I don't see this a such a big deal. what I DO think sucks is the price plan. 2Gb for $25/Month? Really? Maybe if it was $15 or $10 for that amount it weould seem better...

Yeah it does suck for some though.

Pity I am one of those it will suck for ! Guess I had better never change my plan......
IMG_0197.PNG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I work for at&t. Apparently, if you already have an unlimited data plan on your iphone or ipad, you can keep it. The $30 data plan never had a cap. The $60 aircard plan was capped at 5Gigs but that wasnt a secret. My understanding is that starting monday the plans will change so my recommendation to everyone with a 3g ipad would be to sign up for unlimited data today with a credit card that your going to have for a long time, lol. Also, if you have unlimited data on your iphone you can keep that plan, even if you upgrade to a new iphone.

Just signed up for my lifetime $30 plan.:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, this makes things easier for me. I should be returning to NY from Hungary sometime in July or August, and I'll of course need a new phone plan. I know I tend to be argumentative sometimes when it comes to things I don't agree with, but sometimes you have to just stand your ground and stick to your principles. I find this move by ATT to be simply abhorrent. They've got some nerve to pull this rather than admit that they can't fix their crappy trunk lines with all the money they've been cheating customers out of.

I mean really ? ATT subjects Apple to a lock down deal for several years, forcing people to use THEIR crappy network, and they can't even fix it ? They should be investigated as far as I'm concerned, for misappropriation of funds. I mean really, where does it all go I wonder ?

And boy am I EVER glad that I jailbroke my current 3g iPhone! I'll keep it on its current 3.0 firmware so that it stays unlocked for those times when I need to travel abroad, and for the States, I'll either go Verizon or Sprint.

ATT just lost me big time, as did Apple no matter what new features the iPad gets in the future. I just don't get it. The iPad is meant to be a data consumption monster ! Who is ATT to tell anyone what THEY think is enough data for someone to use ? Tell you what ATT, you can tell me how much data YOU think is enough for people to use, and we'll tell you how much money WE think you should get for it, square ?

There really needs to be better regulations in place so that these big companies aren't able to have the monopolistic hold which they do on us. Things are SO much different and better here in Europe in those respects. I'll be sad to leave that part behind.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This change doesn't affect me since I just purchased the unlimited plan. Being community minded, however, I did take the liberty of calling Apple customer relations and lodged a complaint with them regarding the bait and switch issue and the data plan changes through AT&T. I hope that this helps those affected by this change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Glossy MBP 2.66 GHz Core i7 8GB DDR3 RAM 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD 10.6.5 Snow Leopard
Hello,

This sucks. :( My 64GB 3G iPad won't arrive until Monday, and I don't even have a chance to be grandfathered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Folks, before you get in a tizzy over this change, go into your AT&T accounts and check out your data usage for the past few months. My guess is that the vast majority of you don't come anywhere near the new 2GB.

For comparisons sake, in the last six months, I've averaged 267MB/month, which is a little over one-eighth the 2GB limit. I'm thinking about giving up the unlimited data plan I have now just to save a few bucks each month. This is going to be a great change for most users. I sincerely don't understand why so many people are up in arms over it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I sincerely don't understand why so many people are up in arms over it..

Its human nature ...

People that have something for unlimited and then loose it, will get upset (regardless that they reach anywhere near the cap or not) because they MIGHT one day NEED that data ...

In a way its like having something for free then having to pay for it, and we as humans are a greedy bunch and hate it :(

But isnt it the consensus that it only affects NEW users anyways ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The only concrete information we know is that it affects new users. However, there is no concrete evidence that people who wish to upgrade to the fourth gen iPhone won't be forced to downgrade from unlimited to a 2GB cap. Yes, we've had a few alleged insiders claim that they won't, but given AT&T's track record, I'm not exactly convinced. We'll find out soon enough, and I won't be the least bit surprised if it turns out I'm right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
At first glance, this doesn't look good. I plan to start using my "General > Usage > Cellular Network Data" counter. I'd be shocked if I ever hit 2GB on my iPhone, though I'm definitely sure if I knock out more than 200MB. The usage plan did however just officially kill the iPad for my family. I'm certain anyone in my family would go over 2GB a month using the iPad as a Notebook Lite type device. Unfortunately, if it ever offers video chat, I'm fairly sure that could consume 2GB fairly easily. The $20 for tethering (an iPad to an iPhone) apparently doesn't include extra data, so essentially it's a $20 app. An app that will be sucking down data MB's from my iPhone plan, and essentially rule out the 200MB plan and guaranteeing overages on a 2GB plan. Honestly, I'm currently a bit skeptical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The unlimited "deal" that Apple mentions in their add for the iPad in conjunction with AT&T's changes to the data plan (the combination of which ends up looking like bait and switch) is nothing less than stealing from customers. Stealing is a hard word, I'm sorry to say, but that's what this change amounts to. And, there's no getting away from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I've held off on the iphone till now but am planning to buy one as soon as the newest one is announced and being sold.
I have to admit, this announcement made me second guess buying it.
I've gone pretty much 100% digital. I watch all my tv on hulu and all my movies from itunes.
I was also hoping to listen to Pandora or iheartradio for long periods of the day on my new iphone.
The loss of an 'unlimited' plan worries me, but its also confusing to us new customers because its hard to wrap our heads around what 200mb of data vs 2gb of data really means.
I hope that if I get the new iphone I can start out with the 200mb option and see how it goes the first month or 2, and then if I'm way over upgrade to the 2gb plan without any hassle.

PS- I also was hoping to tether my MBA to my new iphone. Is that $20 tethering plan per month or a one time fee? I'm guessing its per month, which might be too much for me. (I'm a devestatingly poor college student who's been using a virgin mobile $30 a month plan up to now. $20 a month buys a lotta top rauman).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PS- I also was hoping to tether my MBA to my new iphone. Is that $20 tethering plan per month or a one time fee? I'm guessing its per month, which might be too much for me. (I'm a devestatingly poor college student who's been using a virgin mobile $30 a month plan up to now. $20 a month buys a lotta top rauman).

It's a monthly charge of $20.00 for tethering not a one time fee. So stick with your Virgin Mobile plan and keep buying Top Ramen. :p

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.