Install 10.5 Onto MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad-Core
Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro (late 2006) and a Mac Pro Quad Core (August 2009).

My MacBook Pro is currently running 10.4.11 and the Mac Pro is running 10.5.8.

I tried using the install disc from my Mac Pro on my MacBook Pro, but it's not compatible. The Leopard Install disc says, "Mac Pro" directly on it, but I would think that they should all be compatible. The MacBook Pro has the sufficient requirements to run 10.5. Does this mean I have to purchase ANOTHER copy of Leopard for my MacBook Pro?

Has anyone else had this problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried using the install disc from my Mac Pro on my MacBook Pro, but it's not compatible. The Leopard Install disc says, "Mac Pro" directly on it, but I would think that they should all be compatible.

That disk from your Mac Pro is NOT compatible...the disks are model specific. That's why the disk says "Mac Pro" on it!

If you want to install 10.5 onto your MacBook Pro...you need an OS 10.5 install (black disk not grey).

HTH,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
pigoo3 is correct. The grey discs that come with your machines are specific to that model of machine. You will indeed have to purchase another Leopard license.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.