3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo vs 2.66GHz Intel Core i7

Reaction score
Hi. A month back when i was configuring the notebook on Apple's website i saw '3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo’ and now when i was about to purchase i saw the old processor is no more and now i found '2.66GHz Intel Core i7'.

If I'm not wrong the 'Core i7' should be faster then the 'Core 2 Duo'. My question is how much faster it is? I read on the Apple's website about the Boosting performance of the new 'Core i7' from '2.66GHz' all the way up to '3.33GHz'.

Another question, why the new 'Ghz' name is 2.66, while the old is 3.06. The numbers should be increasing right?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
-Amstos

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The new Core i7 has 4 cores while the older one has 2. More cores = faster.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys. I got the answers for my first question.

Can somebody answer "Another question, why the new 'Ghz' name is 2.66, while the old is 3.06. The numbers should be increasing right?"

Reaction score
2.66GHz is the base speed of the i7 (GHz = gigahertz = billion cycles per second), which can then ramp up as needed. It can accelerate both cores to 3.06, then one core up to 3.33. Understand that i7 is substantially faster even at the same speed of a C2D, thanks to improvements in architecture.

The nomenclature of the CPUs can be confusing. The mobile i7 processors have both dual core and quad core designs. In the case of the MacBook Pro, it is the dual core 620. http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43560

OP
A
Reaction score
Okay guys, you mean to say that we shouldn't worry about the confused naming between the new "2.66GHz" vs the old "3.06GHz". Even though Ghz naming vise the new one is lesser, speed vise it is much faster, am i right?

The mobile i7 processors have both dual core and quad core designs. In the case of the MacBook Pro, it is the dual core 620.

The new Core i7 has 4 cores while the older one has 2. More cores = faster.

Regarding the number of Cores, as there is a confusion going on, can anyone confirm how many physical cores does the new MacBookPro "2.66GHz Intel Core i7" HAS?????????

Reaction score
The new Macbook Pro's intel i7-620M Processor has TWO (2) Cores. Not Four (4).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
The new Macbook Pro's intel i7-620M Processor has TWO (2) Cores. Not Four (4).

This is correct.

However the Core i7 has a few benefits like HyperThreading and Turbo Boost that the Core 2 Duo wouldn't have. The performance and efficiency of the Core i7 make it a winner over the C2D. Not to mention it is a 32 nm instead of a 45 nm.

OP
A
Reaction score
one other thing, the new MacBookPro is a 64 bit architecture, right. That means, i can run Windows 64bit operating system under Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Correctimundo.

Reaction score
the Core i7 has a few benefits like HyperThreading and Turbo Boost that the Core 2 Duo wouldn't have. The performance and efficiency of the Core i7 make it a winner over the C2D. Not to mention it is a 32 nm instead of a 45 nm.

Yes. The last generation of Intel Core 2 Duos processors had 2 physical cores with 2-way processing (each core doing one thing). The new generation of Intel processors that have 2 physical cores and Hyperthreading feature 4-way processing that allows each core to do two things. It's virtually like having 4 cores when running multi threaded apps.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes. The last generation of Intel Core 2 Duos processors had 2 physical cores with 2-way processing (each core doing one thing). The new generation of Intel processors that have 2 physical cores and Hyperthreading feature 4-way processing that allows each core to do two things. It's virtually like having 4 cores when running multi threaded apps.

Actually my question is "one other thing, the new MacBookPro is a 64 bit architecture, right. That means, i can run Windows 64bit operating system under Bootcamp."

And "True Bassist" what do you mean by "Correctimundo".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Correctimundo meant yes to your question ...you can run Windows 64bit operating system under Bootcamp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.