MBP clicking noise !

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm sure everyone is sick of answering this same question, but I'm too anal about my laptop to not get specifics.

I recently bought a refurbished 2009 MBP. 13" 2.5ghz 250gb.

After about a week of using it, I noticed the dreaded clicking noises.

When I bought it, I was so anal about the normal battery heat, I downloaded "Fan Control". After reading bad reviews on how it causes unneeded fan speed along with possible fan damage, I uninstalled it, reset the SMC settings, and zapped the PRAM, multiple times to make sure I did it right. The fan speed and everything along with battery heat was fine after that.

A couple days go by, battery heat and fan speed back to normal. Turns out I never really needed "Fan Control".

I then receive a torrented program on a DVD disk from my torrent savvy friend. While the program was installing, and the HD was writing and what not, I picked up the laptop and immediately heard some type of noise like something was rubbing against an object it was not supposed to because I picked it up from its ground level state. I put it back down and it stopped.
That very night, the clicking began.

The program did not work, so I deleted all of its contents and ran the program's uninstall. If anyones wondering, the program was EZ drummer along with all the add ons.

I have ruled out that it is the motion sensor preparing for impact, I know that is normal, along with the HD going to sleep when it's not being used, I shut off that energy saver preference and it still clicks regardless of either on or off of the setting. Although, when the clicking started that night, it seemed like it was coming from the right side and it was a very distinct click. I now barely ever hear that click and have been hearing a left side, small click. I am aware of the possibly of sliders and loaders. Which make small clicks, I think, on the left side, but none of this clicking business was going on before I loaded this program and picked it up while the HD was doing work.

Let me point out once again, the MBP was not clicking at all before any of this installation business occurred. I am aware that I could've just not noticed it before this incident, but I do not have any music in my iTunes yet, so each MBP session has been completely silent and very open to audible clicks.

The clicks happen everyday, and have variable amount of clicking each day.
I am posting this b/c today, the left side clicks are happening about every 2-10 seconds, and go on sprees. While doing simple safari browsing. Nothing else. CS5 is on it's way, but I want this problem to be long gone before I install that.

Since the clicking has started, in my paranoia and troubleshooting, I have downloaded iAntivirus (I know, I know, redundant), and the latest version of SMART reporter, which claims my HD is fine. If my HD is fine, why the clicks now but never before??

One more thing. After the clicking started, safari has been a tad bit slower. I know this problem should be set aside due to possible networking complications, but before the picking up of the busy HD incident / clicking, safari was lightning fast and was extremely awesome. Nothing has been toggled with in terms of my router and such.

Another noticeable change since the clicking began is my battery will only last about 3-4 hours right after a full charge. Before this all happened, it would go all day and then some without needing more charge. And that's with the keyboard lighting turned off and the screen brightness close to nothing.

Am I freaking out for no reason or did I do some type of damage when I picked up the MBP while it was writing????

HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SCARED!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most of what you've said about your machine is normal. The clicking sound probably is the hard drive as there have been reports of the same from other users. And that would tend to wear down the battery a bit sooner than normal because of the drive head movement requiring power.

Since you just bought the machine it must still be under warranty. Make an appointment with Apple and take it on in and let them check it out. A refurbished machine is warranted by Apple same as a new one. Make sure you backup all your data to an external hard drive before taking it on in. Use Time Machine or cloning software. (Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner)

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
That's what I figured.

But what about the weird noise that I heard when I picked it up while it was installing a program?? I'm quite worried about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
A hard drive is a pretty vulnerable unit. All manufactures advise not to move around with a laptop while the hard drive is writing. You might have jerked something out of place when you lifted it, but apple will be able to verify exactly what is wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.