Windows media player

Reaction score
What is the latest version of WMP that will work with Snow Leopard? I have version 9, but was wondering if there is a later version that is available. Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here is latest version of Flip4Mac to play WMV files using QuickTime.

The Windows Media Player for the Mac is no longer being updated and is outmoded for use. Go to the link above and download Flip4Mac instead.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, but...

I'm sure Flip4Mac works well for files to be downloaded and/or played. In my case however, I need to use WMP in order to play live streaming broadcast of a baseball game. (They indicate that it is required to play) When I tested it before paying, I found that it wouldn't play due to needing some kind of plug-in that was missing apparently. That's why I wanted to know if there was a newer version than 9, as I thought it may include whatever plug-in was missing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The plug in you're missing is Flip4Mac. Download it and install it as it supports streaming live broadcasts. I use it all the time to listen to live streaming programs on the net.

And, I don't understand why you need to pay for a program that is no longer supported for the Mac and is outmoded?

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
WMP for the Mac OS has not been updated since '05. It is old and no longer supported.

Anything that requires WMP and will not play with Flip4Mac will be due to some DRM that has been implemented. In which case, there will be nothing in OS X that can play it - including the last WMP. Most of the DRM stuff, MS has been trying to get those companies limiting themselves to Windows to go the route of Silverlight, which is playable in OS X.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WMP for the Mac OS has not been updated since '05. It is old and no longer supported.

Anything that requires WMP and will not play with Flip4Mac will be due to some DRM that has been implemented. In which case, there will be nothing in OS X that can play it - including the last WMP. Most of the DRM stuff, MS has been trying to get those companies limiting themselves to Windows to go the route of Silverlight, which is playable in OS X.

I have yet to run into anything WMP-related that won't play in Flip4Mac. Have you?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No I have not found anything that would not play for me.

I have only seen a few reports of some of the pay sports internet streaming not working in OS X. That was also back when Netflix did not work in OS X either I believe. Only reason I mention Silverlight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.