[OFFICE] Problem with word files

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a BIG problem with Microsoft Office 2008.

screen-capture.png

I am currently running Microsoft Office 2008. But it appears that i cannot open files with mathematics character inside, as shown as in the picture. The words just ended up together, without me having to do anything.

Would any kind soul please help me? Initially i resorted to using the desktop in my living room to convert to PDF so i can read on my Mac, which is my primary computer which i use for college. But i do not think that is a long term solution as the files just get more and more. Converting is too time consuming

I tried and google my problem on the net, but to no avail.

Is there some settings that i must change? Is there some add on That i must install? Do tell me, thanks a lot.

Have a nice day. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Unfortunately, Office for Mac 2008 does not support Equations made with the equation editor. I made the same mistake when purchasing it, expecting the functionality of 2007 to be present. (As you can see in your screenshot, it goes into compatibility mode, which is office 2003-equivalent, and as you may know, office 2003 does not support these equations either).

As far as I know, our only hope is waiting until the next office is released (somewhere around summer/fall?). Until then I use office 2007 under Win7, through a Parallels setup. Its too bad, but it just cant be done.

I am not sure if iWork or OpenOffice provide a solution for this, I am still looking into those packages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would give OPen Office a try, its free and should be able to convert the symbols

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot kaham. I tried to open with my iWork, like kaham said, and it works! Thank you!

louishen, I haven't try using OpenOffice yet, but i guess there is no need to since iWork can open it. Thank you guys. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Hey thanks a lot kaham. I tried to open with my iWork, like kaham said, and it works! Thank you!

louishen, I haven't try using OpenOffice yet, but i guess there is no need to since iWork can open it. Thank you guys. :)

Oh thats good to know. As I said, the next office should solve this problem, but if it doesn't, I'll look into iWorks as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.