Doh !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
So I convinced a friend to buy an eMac today because she was sick of viruses and the whole Microsucks experience.
Anyway her eMac came with Tiger, Mmm I thought I could use her install discs and upgrade my iMac G5 from Panther to Tiger ( what a great idea thought I !!!).
Well it doesn't work because all that happens is you get a message saying you are unable to install on your system from these discs. Doh !!
Oh well I suppose I will just have to pay the £90 and buy it !

I

iMe

You can only install Tiger on 2 or more computers if you have the family pack. Her eMac probably came with a "one-time" install disc. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
iMe said:
You can only install Tiger on 2 or more computers if you have the family pack. Her eMac probably came with a "one-time" install disc. Sorry.

It doesn't have anything to do with that actually. The eMac install discs are made to work with eMac's only.

Also what you were trying to do is illegal

M

menace3054

iMe said:

yea, although illegal, the tiger single edition can be installed on as many computers as you want, as with the family version (which comes with 5 licenses if you have all computers under 1 roof) theres no way a cd could know how many times its been instaleld (w/o a cd key and/or activation)

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Well People the Magic that is Apple strikes again.

After my friend bought her eMac yesterday I showed her and her boyfriend how to use it. He is a self confessed Ludite and hates all computers (well he has only been on Microsucks) anyway after a few minutes on iTunes & Safari he was hooked. He couldn't believe how easy it all was to use. Now of course she is moaning at him because he is on HER eMac.
Don't you just love it, when not only can you convert people over to Apple but also have them fighting over who gets to use it first !
Today i said I would set up user accounts for her three children and show them how to use it as well. They are 5, 6 & 9.
Mmmm I think she will end up having to buy some more Macs soon !

Mission accomplished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
menace3054 said:
yea, although illegal, the tiger single edition can be installed on as many computers as you want, as with the family version (which comes with 5 licenses if you have all computers under 1 roof) theres no way a cd could know how many times its been instaleld (w/o a cd key and/or activation)

technically, you could do that, that's true. There is no CD-Key or activation process, only the online registration at Apple, which is not mandatory...

But yet, it is quite simply illegal to install a single user license on more than one computer, or more than five with the Family license (5 licenses in the same household! Not 5 friends or whatever!).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.