PPC G5 dual 2.5 wont cold boot

Reaction score
when it cold or cool it will not chime, I'll let it sit awhile (Powered on) till the fans kick in then try again then it will boot up then it works perfectly. I'm not sure if it's the Logicboard starting to go or something simple.

Anyone actually have this happen to them before and how was it fixed?

Could it be the power supply, when cold (metal contracts) it may not be working properly until it heats up?

I don't want to guess throw money at this thing obviously.

Thanks in advance for any help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here are some thoughts:

1. What about the hard drive? When you try to boot the computer when cold/cool & it will not chime..do you hear the hard drive spinning at all?

2. If when you press the power button when the computer is cold/cool (no chime)...and you wait a while till the fans kick in...this could somehow indicate that power isn't getting to the fans initially. Maybe the power supply is slowly going bad.

3. Have you tried booting from the grey disks that came with the computer...or any other original OS install disk to see if you get different results?

4. If you have the grey disks that came with this computer...have you tried running the hardware test program?

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from the system or OS install disc and run Repair Disc and see what is reported.

Reaction score
There are heat sensors in these newer Macs...if one goes bad they shut down. Have you added any new hardware or software drivers lately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.