Macbook Pro dual display crashes

kmv

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook Pro with a very strange problem. Whenever I plug in an external monitor to my mini display port, after 10 sec or so both displays would go blank and my mac crashes. I've tried both VGA and DVI cables but with the same result. I previously had the same monitor connected to the older generation MacBook Pro without any issues. Anyone know if this is a known issue or a fix? Or is it just me? Thank you for any advice.

MacBook Pro hardware profile:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Reaction score
Try changing the refresh rate on your display settings for the external monitor. I was having the same issue when my 20" Dell monitor was setup @ 1440 x 900 @ 60 HZ. I kept the same aspect ratio but updated the refresh rate to 75 HZ and haven't had any issues .... yet.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Reaction score
Any luck with this issue?

I have been having the same issue with a 2010 13" MBP and three separate monitors. I cannot go to the max resolution when the laptop is open; both displays go to a solid color (usually different on each display) and the keyboard does not respond (can't force a restart; have to power down). The firmware update didn't help, and on my ViewSonic VP2365wb I cannot set the refresh rate to anything other than 60Hz. (ViewSonic's online support is abysmal; their solutions for Mac connections are "I need an adapter to use the display with my Apple computer" and "I need help setting the switches for my display adapter." I have not yet tried email or chat; I have a feeling there will be little help.)

I've tried a VGA and DVI adapter with the same results.

BTW the display itself is excellent and works at max 1920x1080 in clamshell mode. But I want TWO displays. and 1600x900 isn't good enough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW the display itself is excellent and works at max 1920x1080 in clamshell mode. But I want TWO displays. and 1600x900 isn't good enough.

You're going to have to live with that because unless you use clamshell mode it isn't going to work. The only way you're going to get the native resolution out of those external displays is in clamshell mode. As soon as you use both displays - even in mirror mode, it will default to the native resolution of your MBP.

If you need that kind of setup, buy a Mac Pro which has the capability of utilizing more then one video card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.