help with parental controls (web access limiting)

Reaction score
My Uncles daughter is spending way too much time online, she has a macbook and uses wifi - he put something on it but she circumvented it...

im not familiar with macs

he bought a timer to disable power to the router at set times but its not working like it should
he has set wireless scheduling in the router (Netgear) but only allows one schedule per day and he would like it off 6-8pm and at 10pm until morning - with different schedules at weekend

is there any method/software he can use that will also prevent her from getting by it?

ive suggested lower her privelages to a standard user and him being the admin on it and install web-limiting software but im not familiar with macs hence me asking on this forum

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Does the MacBook belong to your niece or your uncle?
Setting parental permissions is easy enough, as long as your uncle and not his child is the administrator. There's no way she can circumvent them either, unless she has admin privileges and knows the admin password.

Go to System Preferences under the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen. Go to accounts and set up a separate account for her, first of all, is she doesn't have her own. From there, enter a checkmark under Enable Parental Controls then, open Parental Controls to set them. Inside Parental Controls, you've got option tabs like, Web restrictions (under Content), time limits, app restrictions and so forth.

Macs have excellent parental controls, so there shouldn't be a problem setting them, and she shouldn't be able to get around them, so long as this child wasn't given admin permissions, in the first place. If the computer is her own, and now all of a sudden her parents want to control her access to it, things could get ugly...

OP
S
Reaction score
it belongs to my niece and as far as Im aware she will be set up as admin or the default user state from first boot...

i will forward your instructions to him,

many thanks for your quick reply :)

OP
S
Reaction score
P.S. - is it possible to get passed it by creating new user account and signing into that and accessing the web through it? (just a thought)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As long as she doesn't had the Admin password, she can't create your accounts..she can only login to those that are created..so technically there should only be 2 accounts on there, one admin and one for her..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you I will let him know, I think this is the best way - even if it means completely closing down her admin account and creating a new 'standard' one for her with him as the admin with password... the hardware method means no-one else can use the internet at the same time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
If she is the admin, yes. She could create another unblocked account and log into that one, having full access, but if she already has admin rights, she would just log into the admin account, having full access anyway. Further, if your niece is the admin, your uncle is going to have a fun time getting the password from her, so that he can change it, and become the admin himself. Using bribes or Jedi mind tricks to get her to give up her password MIGHT work if she's under 5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.