Imac 24' Problems...

Reaction score
I have a 24' Aluminum Imac with dual 2.8 and 2gb of 800mhz Ram.. My Imac is really slowing down.. Sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes to change applications.. Problems seem worst when ive restarted my computer, or trying to process several applications at once.. Ive lost half of my iphoto album..

I do have a firewire backup drive and all was backed up before these issues arose...

Do you fellas think this is a issue of my hard drive slowly dying? I thought i saw in one of my status system memory indicators that one of my ram cards is at 5% when the other is at 100%

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First thing I would do is open Disk Utility from the Utilities Folder in Applications. Highlight the drive and look at the bottom for S.M.A.R.T Status. Does it say Verified?

If it says Verified I would boot up with the OSX DVD that came with your Mac. When you get to the installer click Utilities up top and run Disk Utility and do a Check Disk. Any issues reported?

Reaction score
yea we had a big prob with the 24" imacs when they rolled out with the OS. the best thing to do really is a archive and install. if you choose not to do that, in most cases i've seen where people have no choice but to do a archive and install or a erase and install because they can't use the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.