Wireless connection issues

Reaction score
OK, I'm a bit confused!

My old printer was acting up, and among several issues, it kept not responding when I sent a request through my wireless network.

I bought a new printer, since there were other issues too...connected it through the wireless network, no issues.

Except the next day (yesterday), when it suddenly wouldn't respond. So I deleted it, and tried to reinstall, and it's not THERE anymore! Which is exactly what the old printer used to do.

I've turned it off and turned it back on again. I've restarted my MacBook Pro (running OS X 10.5.8). I restarted the router, and it showed again, but has done the same thing tonight, dropping the connection!

I'm on aohell, so stuck with Netgear as a router. But could it be dropping connections? The router is a year or two old. Or is it something to do with the laptop? It's giving me a headache!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Just to be clear - the printer is getting an IP address form the Netgear - is that right?
Is the Netgear doing the wireless network or is there a Apple Airport unit in the setup that u have?

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi,

The wireless network is run off the Netgear router, yes. My MacBook connects to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did u go into Sys Prefs/Print & Fax to add the Printer?

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I added it through system preferences, print & fax, add printer.

But when it stopped responding, and I deleted it to try to re-add it, it didn't show there until I'd restarted the router. Once I'd done that, it added fine, but 24 hours or so later, stopped responding again.

I don't really want to have to restart my router every time I have to print!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the UPnP enabled on the Netgear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off - is the Netgear a Router or Modem/Router? If it is the later then you have to log into the admin page of the Netgear using your browser - check your manual for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.