Questions About Selling my iMac

Reaction score
Hello, everyone, I have an iMac with 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM, an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and a 24" Screen that I'm selling, and I had some questions about the overall process:

1) I've heard many stories about creepers reconstructing data from old iMacs. Frankly, I don't typically buy into such overhyped paranoia, but I shouldn't be naive about something like this, because I'm sure it's possible, just perhaps not probable. So, what program, or should I just use the native Mac OS X feature, of wiping my entire Macintosh HD / account? Is there a great open-source third-party app that does the job nicely?

2) What about the OS itself after my HD has been wiped. Although, it may be possible, as indicated above, that only my account would be wiped but I'm not sure.

3) Finally, what about third-party software that I'd like to include. I have both Adobe Creative Suite Web Edition CS3 and Microsoft Office 2004 that I would like to include with my computer. I'm guessing I would have to include the discs? My main concern is that I have other Macs in the household that might be nice to have the discs around for.

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. The built in security wipe of Disk Utility should be sufficient. Unless you had NSA secrets on your machine, a 2 or 3 pass wipe should be enough. And BTW, the security wipe will take some time to accomplish so be prepared for that. Also, everything gets wiped not just your account.

2. After the disk is wiped you will need to reinstall OS X from the original install media. Make sure you include that media with the iMac when you sell it.

3. If you want to give the buyer CS3 and MS Office you'll have to include the original disks. And, you'll need to remove any copies that you may have installed on other Macs in your house. (which by the way is illegal anyway)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
1) You can zero out the data on the drive in Disk Utility. This will completely erase the drive. You can choose the security options to have it write Zeros over all the data. You can choose between 1, 7 and I think 35 passes depending on how sure you want to be that no data is recoverable. You will of course have to reinstall Mac OS X after this.

2) After wiping the drive, if you have chosen to have it 'Zero" out the data with the security options, the OS will have to be reinstalled. After "zeroing" the drive and reinstalling, the will be no accounts set up initially and is highly unlikely that anyone would be able to recover your old account.

3) If you include the third party software with the machine, you will also have to transfer the original disks to the new owner. Otherwise, the installed software will in effect be illegal copies of the software. It would also be illegal to make copies of the disks to keep for yourself to install on other machines.

OP
Q
Reaction score
2) Really!!! Ahh.... More problems xD

Yeah, makes sense, though about packaging Leopard with my iMac. I guess I could just purchase Snow Leopard (adding to the overall value of the machine) singe pack and include that disc.

3) Also makes sense, and this one shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks a lot for the detailed responses!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.