• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Audio Sync Issue from iMac to 720p TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
I'm having audio sync issues when I play movies from my iMac on my HD TV.

I have a 2010 27" iMac w the i5 and 4 Gb mem. I bought the minidisplay port to DVI converter cable. I run 3 feet of DVI and then convert to ~5 ft of HDMI cable. Two audio configurations have the same result. One is 6 feet mini-stereo right to speakers. Second is 6 feet mini-stereo to RCA stereo in on TV. The TV is 720p HD but it is DLP.

The same movies seemed synced with audio and video when I watch on my iMac. When I watch on the TV, the audio is a few fractions of a second ahead of the video. The problem seems slightly worse when I watch in Front Row as opposed to iTunes but that might be my imagination. I mirror the displays while watching on the TV.

Any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You mean you're running an adapter into a DVI cable and then a dvi to hdmi adapter and then a hdmi cable? Really bad idea and that's your issue.

You need to grab one of these in the length you need - link.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes. I am converting just as you say. Before I bought one of the cables you suggested, I tested it tonight on a DVD playing in the iMac displaying on the TV in my config with the DVI->HDMI w speakers plugged directly into the iMac (as opposed to playing a m4v file converted from a DVD).

I just watched all of the Da Vinci Code (2 hr 29 mins) with perfect audio sync.

Additionally, the audio is always quiet when I watch from m4vs files. From the DVD, it was significantly louder.

I use HandBrake to convert my DVDs (even verified by my someday possible brother-in-law FBI guy) to m4vs.

What am I missing here? Perhaps my iMac can't keep up with playing an m4v on two screens (because DVDs have some hardware acceleration?) Why would the minidisplay->DVI->HDMI effect m4v files more than DVDs?

And why does the audio directly from the DVD kick the m4v's ****?

thanks.

Reaction score
i am currently using the miniDV out to HDMI with the converter setup and haven't had any sync issues when playing from my macbook to my t.v. However, I have had loads of problems with audio sync when I am converting old videos that don't have timecodes. Someone on this forum finally explained to me that I needed to adjust the sequence presets in FCP to match the audio/video I was working with and to export with the same settings. Bottom line the audio was at 12bit and I was exporting at 16bit. Video started out fine but about 30 minutes in noticeable sync issues. I don't know what kind of video you are working with or if this in anyway relates to your problem...

But, I have the same connection setup as you and currently have no problems with sync...even when playing DVD's (commercial or homemade).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.