No Files after Archive and Install

Reaction score
So here's kind of what happended:

I've been having some troubles with my Macbook randomly crashing, so Apple told me to Archive and Install. I did so: First I tried with my then current OS Snow Lepord, but it cound't find my hard disk, so I had to start with the disks that came with the Mac, then re-upgrade to SL. After I did all this, none of my files were saved like they should have been. (Movie, Music, Documents, ect) But my HD is still full, so I know that data is all there.

When I go into Spotlight and search "Previous System" I find all the stuff, but I "Don't have permissions" to open the files. I found that when I dragged my documents to my desktop, I gained permissions. (I tried to go to info and ignore permissions and it didn't work). But I can't do that for movies and music because i don't have enough disk space to copy it to the desk top. Is there any way to reinstate everything from the "Previous System?"

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
here how you get your permissions back. go into the Macintosh HD and you'll find your previous systems folder there. right click or select it and goto file>get info. you'll see sharing and permission at the bottom of the get info window. unlock the padlock on the bottom right of the window. change the privilege for your account to read & write. after you change that you'll see a little gear icon at the bottom click that and select "apply to enclosed items". when you get that done you'll have access to your files again. if you need help with the steps you can message me. i've done this many many times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.