power book G4 to Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 17" 320GB hdd 2 Gb Ram DVI Alu + Mac Pro 2x2.26 quad
i have been thinking of moving upto macbook pro from my 17" PBG4
i was wondering if any one could advise whether it would be worth upgrading or am i best keeping my powerbook

thanks in advance

nelo

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have been thinking of moving upto macbook pro from my 17" PBG4
i was wondering if any one could advise whether it would be worth upgrading or am i best keeping my powerbook

thanks in advance

nelo

Do it...that would be a big hardware update for you!:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 17" 320GB hdd 2 Gb Ram DVI Alu + Mac Pro 2x2.26 quad
thanks for the advice my PB is the last 17" 1.67GB 2G ram with a 320HDD

so dont know what the advantages would be apart from dual core but would it be better ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks for the advice my PB is the last 17" 1.67GB 2G ram with a 320HDD

so dont know what the advantages would be apart from dual core but would it be better ?

That PB you have is a very nice model (17" Display, 1.67ghz cpu).

* The biggest thing to watch out for when upgrading is if any of the current software applications you use will be compatible with an Intel Processor based Mac running OS 10.6.x.

If all you really do with your computer is check e-mail & surf the internet (no other important apps that you regularly use)...then you will be fine getting a new Macintosh. But then again if that's all you do with your computer...then you probably don't need to upgrade.

The two biggest reasons to upgrade (IMHO):

* Is to be able to run the latest software. Some software programs will only run on Intel based Macintosh computers...with your PPC based Powerbook, you will not be able to run many newer software programs. Either because they require a G5 PPC processor or an Intel processor.

* Is to be able to run the latest version of the Macintosh OS (10.6.3)...which depending on your needs...you may want to be able to take advantage of.

If you're just asking this question to see what people say...then don't upgrade because you probably have no reasons to do so. You really have not mentioned any compelling reason(s) why you want or need to upgrade!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.