Kernal Panic and will not boot from install disc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have read nearly all the posting on Kernal Panic.

My iMac will not boot up keep getting the Kernal Panic message.

Have tried starting in Safe Mode - but stills refuses to boot

Tried booting with Install disc (Snow Leopard) pressing C while starting but will not read the disc.
Tried booting while pressing Alt key selecting disc, but will not boot from disc.

Reset PRAM but still doesn't help.

Have tried Hardware Test with orig Install Disc 1 Pressing D while booting up this time it reads and conducting the test shows no errors even with an extended test.

Also tried resetting RAM in slots -no joy

Also booted up in single user mode and did fsck -fy showing an error in the catalogue but cannot fix it.

Have a MacBook Pro which I am using now - can I somehow get into the iMac from this machine to work on the iMac??

Any ideas as to what else I can do to get the machine to boot from the disc to use disc utility, or do I need to take it into a shop? :(

Have done some of the above with help from Apple tel support and reading posts on this forum :) - but they have no more suggestions except take it to my nearest service shop.

thanks

Pete R

PS iMac details below

iMac 24" Mac OS X (10.6.3) 3.06GHz (Bought May 2008)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

If you have more than 1 "stick" of ram in your iMac (I think that they have 4 ram slots)...remove all of the sticks of ram (leaving only 1 installed) and see if that helps. If not...remove that one ram stick...and then insert another...and see if that works. Keep doing this with each stick of ram till you have stability.

Good Luck,

- Nick

BTW...k-e-r-n-e-l is the proper spelling of kernel. The "Spell Check Police" are on duty 24-7!;) Ha ha! We're here to "Protect & Serve" members from illegal spelling!:)

Reaction score
- Nick

The "Spell Check Police" are on duty 24-7!;) Ha ha! We're here to "Protect & Serve" members from illegal spelling!:)

Well....Just take me to the pokey....I changed my keyboard last night and things are somewhat better...now just change my fingers Ill be doing ok.;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well....Just take me to the pokey....I changed my keyboard last night and things are somewhat better...now just change my fingers Ill be doing ok.;D

I'm sending the "Spell Check Police" over to your place right now...for a little "re-education"!;)

Night-sticks are involved!;)

PolicemanwithBaton.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hi All,

Have read nearly all the posting on Kernal Panic.

My iMac will not boot up keep getting the Kernal Panic message.

Have tried starting in Safe Mode - but stills refuses to boot

Tried booting with Install disc (Snow Leopard) pressing C while starting but will not read the disc.
Tried booting while pressing Alt key selecting disc, but will not boot from disc.

Reset PRAM but still doesn't help.

Have tried Hardware Test with orig Install Disc 1 Pressing D while booting up this time it reads and conducting the test shows no errors even with an extended test.

Also booted up in single user mode and did fsck -fy showing an error in the catalogue but cannot fix it.

Have a MacBook Pro which I am using now - can I somehow get into the iMac from this machine to work on the iMac??

Any ideas as to what else I can do to get the machine to boot from the disc to use disc utility, or do I need to take it into a shop? :(

Have done some of the above with help from Apple tel support and reading posts on this forum :) - but they have no more suggestions except take it to my nearest service shop.

thanks

Pete R

PS iMac details below

iMac 24" Mac OS X (10.6.3) 3.06GHz (Bought May 2008)

You may be able to get both machines to talk. Google or otherwise search "Target Disc Mode on a Mac" or "Firewire Disc Mode" and try it.

Frankly, it sounds like the hard drive on the iMac is dying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

How old is your iMac as it does appear, as baggss states, the hard drive is failing? Hopefully it is still under warranty/Applecare and you do need to get to the repairer.

OP
Felix610
Reaction score
2yrs bought May 2008

I expect to have to pay but the Hardware test shows no prob there - but I guess if its on its way out it wouldn't show up

Of to the repairers then :Grimmace:

Pete

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2yrs bought May 2008

I expect to have to pay but the Hardware test shows no prob there - but I guess if its on its way out it wouldn't show up

Of to the repairers then :Grimmace:

Pete

I would recommend a little more troubleshooting...but if you're not comfortable with that sort of thing...and prefer to pay someone to do it...that's ok too.:)

- Nick

OP
Felix610
Reaction score
OK what else would you recommend to try and do?

I am comfortable trying most things -

By the way am getting vertical blue lines down the screen overlaying the black screen. Different widths and a different spacing

OP
Felix610
Reaction score
By the way here is a picture of the screen opened in single user mode see attached and inserted:

Can see the vertical blue lines I mentioned earlier

iMacScreen.jpg

iMacScreen.jpg

OP
Felix610
Reaction score
Have managed to access the HD using Firewire target mode using my MacBook Pro and am making an image of the file. Using disc utility on to an external HD

When done will try and use this to verify and repair the disc if needs it.

Can I use any other utilites to see if there are any other problems say with graphics or logic board??

Any suggestions welcome

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.