Backing up stored file on the Time Capsule

Reaction score
I am working on creating a fool-proof back up system for my new Macbook Pro. So far, I plan to use a 2TB Time Capsule and Time Machine for my primary back up. I don't plan to add any supplemental back ups of my Macbook Pro to that because it would be more expensive and more resource heavy than truly necessary. After all, aside from a natural disaster, its basically impossible for my laptop HDD and network HDD to fail simultaneously, especially since both will be separately surge protected.

Anyway, back to my reason for posting this thread...I will also be using the Time Capsule as a network storage device. This part raises major concerns for me because that means that my data stored on the network will not be backed up. I am hoping to attach an external HDD to my Time Capsule to back up the data stored on the network storage; however, I have no method of doing so. Can anyone suggest a method of seamlessly and automatically backing up the data stored on my time capsule? (not backup data, only stored data that is on the Time Capsule alone?)

Thanks for your insight! I have googled this to death but as you can imaging using backup and time capsule together in a search engine returns completely irrelevant results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I have also just wrestled with developing a good backup strategy but have finally got to a solution that feels comfortable.

You say that you don't plan to add supplemental backup of your Macbook and quote only a natural disaster as a potential issue. You forgot about burglary, fire and water damage to your house/apartment and all of its contents (especially burglary). Give some consideration to an "off-site" clone copy of your data or if you do not have a lot of data think about "cloud storage" as an alternative.

DavidH

OP
I
Reaction score
I have also just wrestled with developing a good backup strategy but have finally got to a solution that feels comfortable.

You say that you don't plan to add supplemental backup of your Macbook and quote only a natural disaster as a potential issue. You forgot about burglary, fire and water damage to your house/apartment and all of its contents (especially burglary). Give some consideration to an "off-site" clone copy of your data or if you do not have a lot of data think about "cloud storage" as an alternative.

DavidH

Would you mind sharing your backup scheme?

Thats true. But I was also thinking of securing my time capsule in something that would be locked. Since the router will be only servicing my dorm, it should create any huge problems with the wireless N. So theft is almost definitely out of the picture. I just don't see such an elaborate heist happening in college. It would be more like a quick snatch of a macbook. Still, I may use an online backup...but far less frequently than my other solutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Ok here's the problem...

I've read; you can create a new folder and store date on the time capsule. But as soon as Time Machine needs the space, it will erase that date.

Lets say your MBP hard drive is 500GB. Time machine saves the data on that drive and after that any changes you have made. So even though you have a 2TB TC, it can (and eventually) will become full. Once it is full, it will begin to delete the old back ups and from what Ive read anything you have saved on the drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok here's the problem...

I've read; you can create a new folder and store data on the time capsule. But as soon as the time capsule needs the space, it will erase that date.

Lets say your MBP hard drive is 500GB. Time machine saves any changes you have made but it keeps the previous back ups as well. So even though you have a 2TB TC, it can (and eventually) will become full. Once it is full, it will begin to delete the old back ups and from what Ive read anything you have saved on the drive.

Well that...sucks. So I would have to attach an external HDD to my time capsule to securely store data? and then I'd have to get a second one to back that up?! Doesn't Apple realize that many people need backed up and stable NAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
What i do is:

I have an external HD attached to my iMac. Time capsule backs up the iMac and the external HD attached to it.
And then my MacBook Pro, backs up wirelessly.

I'm pretty sure there is no way to backup the drive that is attached to the Time Capsule. :Angry-Tongue:

But I definitely recommend doing more research on it. Make sure it is 100% true that Time Machine will delete data that you store on the Time Capsule. There could be a possibility that i am wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.