Internet Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
On my iMac the internet crawls and works real slow and half the time pages won't load because it is timed out but on every other computer in the house(PC's) the internet flies. How can I fix this or what would be some reasons for this, it is really becoming annoying.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which DNS server(s) are you using? If you're using the one from your ISP try switching to OpenDNS and see if that improves things for you. Scroll down the page for the DNS addresses to use.

Regards.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having a problem that is beginning to drive me crazy on my iMac using both Safari and Firefox. When I go to pnc.com it loads fine but when I punch my ID Numbers in to log in, it never loads and eventually after about 5 minutes of trying to load it says the server is not responding. But when I go use a PC in my house that is connected to the same wireless network, it loads fine and there are no problems, any clue or ideas guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I don't know exactly what is causing your problem but I do know that with wireless connections the location and other electronic interferences can degrade the quality of your connection. Try placing your iMac in the same location as your Windows machines or try moving your router around and see if that solves the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Test the setup with just the iMac on the network and connected by ethernet to modem. If speed is then Ok then that tells you where to look.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would sort of be a pain to move my iMac to the basement to test this out but does anyone have any ideas why it would be just this one site that does not work? I have zero problems with other sites.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Curious, when you say the site works fine on the PC, which Browser or Browsers are you using there? IE or does Firefox work on the PC also?

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That uses IE and on my mac I have tried with both Safari and Firefox and neither works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I missed the part about it being just one site you are having problems with. Since you are using IE on your Windows machine it could be that the website requires IE to work. Try going to the site using Firefox on your Windows computer.

If that doesn't work then you know it blocks other browsers besides IE. One solution to this problem is in Safari you need to turn on the Developer menu in Safari's preferences under the advanced tab section. Once it's on you can choose to identify Safari as IE in the user agent section. This will work for most websites unless the site requires Active X which is IE only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.