Wireless problems

Reaction score
Hi,

So, my lovely new iPad is suffering from some odd wi-fi issues.

It connects fine to my Draytek router, which is set to use WPA/WPA2 and 56g only.

However, after a few minutes of use, the 4 bars of strength suddenly drops to 1 bar and I seem to have difficulties viewing web pages etc.

Also, in the past 48 hours that I've had this device, wireless has completely died on me a few times - and the only way I've been able to get it back is by turning the device off and on again.

I've experimented with a couple of settings changes on the router - long preamble, WPA2-only, but they don't have any effect.

I've got many devices on this network - Ipod touch, MacBook pro, Dell laptop, Squeezebox music player, PC... None of them have this problem.

At the moment, I'm trying to work out if this is a problem with my iPad (in which case I shall get a replacement) or if this is a problem with all iPads, and then is there anything I can do, or can I expect a fix soon, or will I just have to give up on V1.0 of the iPad (which would be a shame!)

Many thanks!
Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
There was a known issue with dualband N routers when trying to connect the iPad to said network it would drop the signal, and such. There is a work around and Apple said they will release a software fix.

I am not sure if that applies to you though.

OP
M
Reaction score
No, I don't think this is my problem. The router is the Draytek Vigor 2800 - it's b/g only (although I've restricted it to G only... have tried b/g mode too, just in case that was the problem - made no difference).

There appear to be two problems going on: 1) the wireless signal strength seems to be poorer than all the other devices I've got - including the iPod touch (2nd gen) and 2) certain things seem to kill the wireless connection altogether such that it needs a restart to pick up wireless again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... I used to have a similar problem with my first gen iPod touch. But that was because it is old, and was dropped quite a few times, I figured it is just failing.

My iPad 3G however, works like a champ. I use a NetGear router, with a MacBook, PS3 and the iPad connected to it. And I get a good WiFi connection everywhere in my apartment.

You might not want to hear this, but it will be worth it to go to the Apple Store and have it looked at.

Cheers,

MMM

OP
M
Reaction score
Weird thing is, if I click the "renew lease" button, nothing happens. BUT if I click the "forget network" button, and then re-enter my wpa password, it works again - in the same way as if I'd restarted the device.
Can't be sure, but it just feels like a software problem to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is always a possibility. It might be worth it to give Apple support a call. They might be able to tell ya what's going on.

Reaction score
Mine has dropped connection from my G router a few times, but it reconnects almost immediately on its own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine has dropped connection from my G router a few times, but it reconnects almost immediately on its own.

Mine did that a couple of times yesterday while I was reading a book on iBooks. It disconnects and 2 seconds later... BOOM! WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Markalroberts... Any updates on your WiFi issues?

I am kinda curious.

OP
M
Reaction score
west apaches

Hi again.

It seems to have stabilized. Part of the problem is that the wireless strength is definitely worse than most other devices that I have, so I've set up a repeater for now to extend my wireless range.

I shall continue to monitor it. Thanks for the replies. I really like this iPad, so hoping the wireless problems keep fixed!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the update, good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.