MacBook Pro Trackpad Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody (Mid 2009), Currently running Leopard, 8GB iPod Touch and 16GB iPod Nano...
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I was on my laptop and my trackpad just stopped working. It wouldn't register anything. I could move my cursor around, but when I would move it to my dock, it wouldn't do anything (I have it set to magnify when I move my cursor over it.). This stayed for a bit. I restarted my computer and the same thing happened. the trackpad wouldn't work. My trackpad then started working fully by itself, but that only lasted two minutes. Then the tap to click was working but the press down to click and the finger swipes didn't. I saw somewhere that you could hold your palm on it for 5 seconds and it would reset. I did that and the tap to click and the finger swipes now work, but the press to click doesn't, it was stuck. I then found a forum where the person said to try sticking a corner of a piece of paper in the sides to dislodge anything. Somewhere in between trying that, the trackpad unstuck and can click, but it isn't responding. I can't drag and drop or highlight anything, but the finger swipes and the tap click works. I normally don't eat or drink around my MBP so I have no idea what has happened! Can anyone help me?

I have a 15" MBP bought new in 2009 and I am running Leopard.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your machine is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on in to Apple and have them look at it. They'll probably replace the trackpad.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Unibody (Mid 2009), Currently running Leopard, 8GB iPod Touch and 16GB iPod Nano...
Thanks, I really wish there was an Apple store in my area :(
'There is none within driving distance to where I live. There is a place that sells Macs and other apple products though. I wonder if they could fix it for me?
would the replacement be free if it was still under warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009)
You should check this out Elantech.net

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you chilimagic, I'll look into it. I am not from the US so it's hard to get service! I live in The Middle of Nowhere, Canada :p

I think the apple reseller may be able to repair it, if not, I can give this a shot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Elan Technologies is only in the US.

Your best bet is to use a local Apple authorized reseller or service center. Since you live in Canada, sending your MBP to the US for repairs is going to be expensive and you may run into problems with customs and GST.

Regards.

Reaction score
Catie89, did you resolve the problem? I am having the exact same problem, including the dock bar issue. I reset my computer and now have use of everything but the click. Any ideas?

Thank you!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blindsideboarde,

Can you tap to click but not press down and click?

My issue was resolved by taking it to the nearest apple authorized seller. Since I had a warranty, they said it was a faulty trackpad button and fixed it free of charge!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I realize this is going to sound stupid but... have you tried cleaning the track pad with a damp cloth that has a *tid bit* of mild soap on it ? Have you tried vacuuming between the cracks ? Sometimes bits of stuff gets trapped, plus the track pad can get very oily which can cause it to not respond as well.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Apple just released 10.6.4 yesterday. It specifically states that this update addresses the issue in this thread.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iLaw, it may resolve a trackpad issue, but not this one. My issue was not software related, but hardware related and I had to get the trackpad replaced. I also run Leopard (10.5.8), not Snow Leopard as my laptop was purchased early last year. I haven't upgraded yet. As for doug B's suggestion, I had tried some of those suggestions and nothing worked to get it pressing down to click again and that is when I decided to take it in to my local apple seller.

Blindsideboarde, Do you run leopard, snow leopard, etc?
Do you have an external mouse? , if you do, hook it up to your MBP and click around on it, if it works, then you may have a hardware problem. Try some of the suggestions that doug b had and if that doesn't work and If you still have a warranty, go to your local apple store or reseller and get it fixed. It was all covered for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.