network with pc's problem

Reaction score
i have an imac running mac os x 10.6.3

all pc's see the mac and each other but when i go into finder the pc's are not showing consistently. sometimes i go into finder and all the pc's are showing but after restart none are showing and fail to do so despite restarting several time.

i've done a lot of research and carried the procedures for joining the network, disabled all firewalls and av on pc's, all machines belong to the same workgroup.

i can connect to machines from imac by using the connect to server tool (even though even though none are servers), but they hardly ever show up automatically.

there's another thread on here with same problem but no resolution.

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
i have an imac running mac os x 10.6.3

all pc's see the mac and each other but when i go into finder the pc's are not showing consistently. sometimes i go into finder and all the pc's are showing but after restart none are showing and fail to do so despite restarting several time.

i've done a lot of research and carried the procedures for joining the network, disabled all firewalls and av on pc's, all machines belong to the same workgroup.

i can connect to machines from imac by using the connect to server tool (even though even though none are servers), but they hardly ever show up automatically.

there's another thread on here with same problem but no resolution.

thanks in advance.

I have managed this with Network Network [here] - computer to computer. There is a PC version and a Mac version and there do work well together

OP
A
Reaction score
I have managed this with Network Network [here] - computer to computer. There is a PC version and a Mac version and there do work well together

thanks for prompt reply lesarmitage,

i was looking more for a fix than having to use a third party app. but i'll certainly look at it and bear in mind.

anyone else got any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.