OpenOffice or StarOffice?

J

j5ive

Which freeware Office product is better? openoffice or staroffice? how good is it with reading microsoft office files from a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
There both good. OpenOffice is the Open Source version and Star Office is controlled by Sun. I like OpenOffice and as strange as it may be it does a better job opening older Microsoft documents that the new versions of MS Office. OpenOffice has a very rapid development cycle; they should be releasing 2.0 in July.

Oh Yea, it's free :)

Joe

j5ive said:
Which freeware Office product is better? openoffice or staroffice? how good is it with reading microsoft office files from a pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I find NeoOffice/J better than Open Office on X11.
Neo/J uses the system fonts and acts the same as a normal Mac program in staying open when the last window closes etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
NeoOffice, hmmm, never used it before, but going to download right now. Great thing about OpenOffice is that it runs on everything; I use it at work on Windoooze, Linux, Freebsd and Mac, way cool.

Joe

torchy said:
I find NeoOffice/J better than Open Office on X11.
Neo/J uses the system fonts and acts the same as a normal Mac program in staying open when the last window closes etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.