iPad and Airport Extreme (Connected but No Internet)

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in desperate need of help.

I brought an iPad 64GB yesterday got it home and connected it to my SpeedTouch 780 via the WiFi. It connected fine to the router and the IP Addresses are as they should be but I am not getting any internet.

I have the following working perfectly throught his router.

2 Mac Book Pro Laptops
Iphone 2G
Iphone 3G
Imac 24"
Various Windows notebook and laptops

I have also connected the iPad to my LinkSys Wireless Access Point which all the above connect to perfectly and work fine but again the iPad connects but no internet.

I took it back to apple this morning who tried it in the shop and it connected immediately and could access the internet straight away.

They swapped it out as a precaution and advised that I should buy an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless access point for £142.00 which I very stupidly did but thought if it works then happy days.

I have setup the Airport Extreme and connected all my devices to it which are working fine yet when I connect the iPad it connects fine to the Airport like it does on my other two routers but i still dont get any internet. Again the IP Addresses are correct be it DHCP or if I use Static

Everything else is working perfectly wirelessly without any problems.

I have just wiped my SpeedTouch 780 router, updated the firmware which looks the same as I already had and have reconfigured it but still the ipad has no internet through it, any of my routers or my internet connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

OP
K
Reaction score
I have reset the Airport Extreme about 50 times now to factory default and twice using the default settings the ipad worked but this was on an open wireless connection as it is this way from the factory reset, however changing just the SSID and putting WPA protection on stops the ipad from working again.

Also trying to duplicte the above when it worked is a 1 in 40 factory resets using defaults.

Complete waste of money and 2 days.

I have just counted and I have 27 wireless devices (not all connected at once) and they all work fine apart from this piece of junk ipad.

Thanks Mr Apple salesman for getting to waste another £142.00 on yet another apple product that doesnt work. Thats a grand out of me in 1 day and with no working devices.

Its a shame they dont read the forums and see how many people are having the same issues.

Cheers guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It sees your Airport and when you try to join it prompts you for a password then upon
entering the correct password it will not join. There has to be a setting in the iPad that is
not correct if they got it immediately at the store I would recheck all your settings.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi,

No, the ipad joins any of my wireless routers / access points including and excluding the Airport Extreme but even when connected it just has no internet.

All other devices are connected and can surf the internet, just not the ipad.

OP
K
Reaction score
I finally figured it all out

Ok I finally got it working.....................

I have a domain that uses a 169.254.56.* subnet.

My router uses 169.254.56.152 which has a DHCP scope of

169.254.56.200 - 169.254.56.250

Although the ipad was getting a correct IP Address as being served by my router for some reason the IP Address of the iPad doesnt work for me using a 169.254.56.* address.

So when it joined my wireless network and got a 169.254.56.* DHCP address I change the IP Address details to static giving the iPad an IP Address of 10.0.0.1 yet keeping all the other addresses the same to match my network config.

10.0.0.1 (iPad IP Address)
169.254.56.152 (My Internet Routers IP Address)
255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask
169.254.56.5 (DNS Server from my Windows 22003 server)

and everything is working 100%

Its funny how the ipad needs to have this configuration when all other wireless devices and all my other apple products are happy being served a 169.254.56.* DHCP address.

So thank you for the help guys, and I hope that the above might help others with the same problem as I have had.

And now that I have got this works, it also works on my existing wirelss router and access points. Thanks Mr Apple saleman for getting me to waste £142.00 on an Airport Extreme that you said I needed to have when infact, I DIDNT......... I guess I now have wireless N and a dual band router so I guess its not all bad. he he

Peace my brothers...........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Ok I finally got it working.....................

I have a domain that uses a 169.254.56.* subnet.

My router uses 169.254.56.152 which has a DHCP scope of

169.254.56.200 - 169.254.56.250

Although the ipad was getting a correct IP Address as being served by my router for some reason the IP Address of the iPad doesnt work for me using a 169.254.56.* address.

So when it joined my wireless network and got a 169.254.56.* DHCP address I change the IP Address details to static giving the iPad an IP Address of 10.0.0.1 yet keeping all the other addresses the same to match my network config.

10.0.0.1 (iPad IP Address)
169.254.56.152 (My Internet Routers IP Address)
255.255.255.0 Subnet Mask
169.254.56.5 (DNS Server from my Windows 22003 server)

and everything is working 100%

Its funny how the ipad needs to have this configuration when all other wireless devices and all my other apple products are happy being served a 169.254.56.* DHCP address.

So thank you for the help guys, and I hope that the above might help others with the same problem as I have had.

And now that I have got this works, it also works on my existing wirelss router and access points. Thanks Mr Apple saleman for getting me to waste £142.00 on an Airport Extreme that you said I needed to have when infact, I DIDNT......... I guess I now have wireless N and a dual band router so I guess its not all bad. he he

Peace my brothers...........

Look at the bright side if you use any device with 802.11a/b/g it will not default your n to g and you have the ability to use the usb port in the AEBS
for Time Machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.