MacBook boot troubles

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought a used MacBook a couple of weeks ago (roughly 3-4 years old, runs OS X Tiger) and have come across a boot issue. I was using it the other day to watch a video on YouTube - it was working fine until I tried opening a new tab on Safari. The computer froze completely, and I restarted it using the power button. Since then, I am only able to get to the password prompt on OSX...after it's entered, I get a blank blue screen with a cursor (sometimes if I leave it on long enough it'll revert back to the password prompt).

I've tried quite a few things to get it working - dumped the PRAM, ran "fsck" (it concluded that there were no issues), etc. I've even tried installing Linux Ubuntu 9.10 - the boot screen loads off the disk, and I can begin the installation process and "try Ubuntu without installing" option, but neither gets very far into the process and eventually the CD is ejected automatically.

I also tried re-installing Tiger off my roommate's installation disc, but my MacBook automatically rejects the disc after reading it for a few seconds.

I'm at a total loss for ideas -- does this sound like a hardware problem? I haven't gotten any of the hardware problem prompts. The only issue this computer had when I bought it was the screen flickered when the backlight was turned down or left idle; I don't know if that would have any bearing on my problem. If it's not a hardware issue, what else can I do? Thanks for any help you can give me.

(p.s. I'm brand new to Macs).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is get hold of the original install DVD (Tiger) for your MacBook or a retail version of Tiger. Your roommate's install DVD (unless his machine is exactly the same as yours) is not going to work.

You said it was a MacBook, and from that I assume it's an Intel machine. If that's true, you can also purchase the Snow Leopard boxed set as that may wind up being less expensive than trying to find a retail copy of Tiger. The original Tiger media for your MacBook may no longer be available from Apple but you can call them and ask.

Once you're able to boot from DVD, you can run the Apple hardware tests and additional tests on the hard drive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.