BestBuy protection plan or AppleCare???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3
Hey guys got a ? Just purchase a MacBook Pro last friday @ BestBuy and as always I purchase there protection plan. First let me tell you what it covers - normal wear & tear,accidental damage from handling,battery replacement (once),no lemon policy,power surge repair,virus/spyware removal,4 telephone calls per year for troubleshooting and assistance, and a annual maintenance. I know it's sounds like alot but with a price of 349.99 now the ? Is AppleCare plan better or
would i be better off with some form of insurance? I have a iphone,the wife ipod touch,and the kids (triplets) all have ipods and never seem to have any issues with them. Apple seems to have very good products so just thinking that the plan for the MacBook Pro might be a little over kill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Well, Apple will replace a lemon, you won't have to worry about virus removal as there are none for OS X, AppleCare gives you unlimited phone suport for the life of the AppleCare plan, and i don't know what BB would do for annual maintenance that you couldn't do yourself with Onyx. I personally would go with AppleCare, but that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Is the BB plan for the same amount of time as the Apple?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3
the BB plan last for 3 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Best Buy's protection plan does not cover virus removal unless you buy the ViSpy plan which requires that you purchase a year of anti-virus as well. The ADH part is what makes it slightly better than Apple's plan. AppleCare is great though if you aren't a moron with your computer (i.e. don't put drinks within spilling range)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
the BB plan last for 3 years.

And so does Apple Care , 1 year with the Mac and an extended 2 years with AC
so a total of 3 years.
With that said AC all the way.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleCare doesn't cover accidental, but I've had great experience with it. I sell the best buy plans all the time, but if it were my computer and I was choosing, I'd go with the AppleCare also... because I don't put my computer in danger of accidents.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13.3
thanks guys I'll probably go with the AC plan.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AppleCare doesn't cover accidental, but I've had great experience with it. I sell the best buy plans all the time, but if it were my computer and I was choosing, I'd go with the AppleCare also... because I don't put my computer in danger of accidents.

Since you work for BB... Does their accidental damage coverage also cover water damage; i.e.: spills? Seems to be some confusion over that. Maybe you can clarify? Also, I had a "Geek Squad" guy tell me the other day that when they receive an Apple computer in for repair (under the BB warranty), if the repair is beyond what they normally do, they'll send it on to Apple.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I seem to remember in a previous thread someone mentioning that Best Buy's plan did cover accidents...but that it covered only one accident/plan. If you put in an accident claim, and they took care of it...then you had to purchase a 2nd plan to be fully covered again.

Not sure though if the plan covered water damage...or [size=+1]Vomit[/size]!!!;) Ha ha!

vomiting.gif

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just found this on Best Buy's website (had to "dig" through a few pages to find it). Their "Black Tie" Protection Plan does cover spills for laptops. There seems to be 3 levels of the "Black Tie" plan (Standard, Advanced, and Premium)...and only the Advance & Premium plans cover spills.

The plan will also replace the laptops battery once if it goes bad. :)

http://www.geeksquad.com/uploadedFi...ontent/Black_Tie_Protection/BTP_Computers.pdf

- Nick

p.s. I'm assuming this also covers vomit!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you work for BB... Does their accidental damage coverage also cover water damage; i.e.: spills? Seems to be some confusion over that. Maybe you can clarify? Also, I had a "Geek Squad" guy tell me the other day that when they receive an Apple computer in for repair (under the BB warranty), if the repair is beyond what they normally do, they'll send it on to Apple.

Regards.

Spills, yes... full liquid submersion, no.

so you can spill a ton on it, but don't drop it in a lake/bathtub. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You know them saying "Spills, yes... full liquid submersion, no." could just be this:

Customer - "but I only spilled a drop of water on my macbook, it's not that bad"
BB employee - "Oh no it's much worse, it was fully submersed. Did you drop it in a bath tub or something similar?"

Then you'd have to argue over was it a drop of water or a drop into a bath tub. A big hassle just to bet the cover you paid for cause they're stingy and don't want to pay out.

I can see that happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea... working at Best Buy, I can tell you that is NOT how it is. It's more like, "Oh? You're not 100% happy? I'm sorry, let me bend over backward for you."

We're usually pretty good about stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.