Driving 4 channel aggregate audio device with 2 channels duplicated

Reaction score
I'm attempting to drive both my USB connected stereo Mint Studio wireless speakers -and- my USB connected stereo audio system which is connected by a USB to HDMI adapter.

As you know you can't select two audio outputs at the same time. You can, however, build an Aggregate Audio device that gangs together both of the sound output devices.

It works because I can test each of the 4 speakers independently from the Audio Midi Setup application. All 4 channels play the test sound. I set the aggregate device up as a multichannel output.

The catch is that iTunes only plays 2 channels of audio. I need 4 to drive the aggregate audio device.

Does anyone know of a tweak or add-in to duplicate, as iTunes is playing, channels 1 & 2 of the iTunes output onto channels 1 & 2 and then also 3 & 4 to feed this aggregate device?

Thanks,

Brad

Reaction score
combining audio outputs on iMac

I am having the same problem. I am using a mini Toslink digital fiber cable to a receiver for outdoor speakers, and the Bose Companion 5 system connected through the USB port. Each system works independently if chosen as output, but when trying to create an aggregate device I have the same issues. The formats are set to be the same and I no longer get a sample rate mismatch error, and each speaker tests fine, but no sound from any speaker with iTunes. I noticed you stated that iTunes only plays 2 channels of audio. When I select the Bose system by itself it plays just fine and it says 6 channel-16bit. What I want is to have the audio sent to both systems 100% of the time so that I will not have to show others how to go into the computer's audio settings just to turn on outdoor music. I can just adjust volume on either system or simply turn one off when not being used. Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.