ever heard of MaglevExpressTemp177 ?

Reaction score
algarve in sunny southern Portugal,near the sea
Your Mac's Specs
intel 17'', 2Ghz I-Mac replaced under warranty by an alu 20'' iMac
hi guys
sometimes when i switch on my alu iMac, i have a couple of folders in the trash that weren't there the night before. one is called MaglevExpressTemp177 that is empty & the other is called Image Debug & contains a file called AutoPosToneMap.txt - has anyone ever heard of these & what they are ?
thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
maglevexpress is a part of the Trainz simulator game.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi Bobtomay
so i have read but the funny thing is i don't have/use ANYTHING remotely associated with Windows, or games for that matter, & THAT'S what puzzles me : where are they coming from & why ?
to be fair i have read elsewhere, a few other people having this same behavior & some one even went as far as stating it might have something to do with the way SnowLeopard interacts w/ HP printers. out of curiosity i went on to scan a page out of a magazine in my C6180 Photosmart, switched off the computer, switched it back on &...sure enough there they were in the trash !? funky....LOL...

Reaction score
MaglevExpressTemp folder

I did a Bing search and this forum came up. I have a Win 7 box with an HP ScanJet. Based on the clues in other posts in this forum, it appears that, when starting the HP Scanner software, it creates several "temporary" folders. Two that I have identified are MaglevExpressTemp and SilverStreakLog. Checking for updates in that program produced the temporary file RedboxLog.txt. Like other posters to this, I do not have any games installed on my machine. This may indicate malicious code in the HP software. I will contact HP support about this.

Reaction score
pbloren

I have the same two folders in my Trash, filed in "Recovered Files", except my MaglevExpressTemp is 221. I have tried deleting, but cannot. I don't use games either, but I do have an HP J6450 all in one (haven't used the scan in several weeks, tho).
My driver for the HP came from Apple, not from HP.
Any ideas on how to delete?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whenever i have a hard time emptying the trash - who knows why.. - i have found it very effective to close all apps, restart the computer & THEN empty the trash :
works each & every time.
as to the Maglev files i mentioned at the beginning i have come to the conclusion that indeed they are a '' by-product'' of using my H.P scanner : if i use the scanner & before going to bed i shut down the computer, the next day when i start it , there they are.
why ? no idea, no one has been able to answer but i've stopped worrying since they apparently cause no harm & despite their existence/my erasing them, the computer keeps functioning without missing a beat
Macs ARE great but NOT devoid of quirky ''whatchamacallits'' ;-)
cheers
N

Reaction score
MaglevExpressTemp in trash

Phew! I was just about to massacre my eldest kid (after stout denial, too) on the grounds of his having tampered with my iMac. I lately find that MaglevExpressTemp in my trash, only mine is 706 (and ImageDebug, and AutoPosToneMap and what not). I do have an HP printer and scanner, and have used it recently. Are you sure the whole thing is harmless? I couldn't afford to 'host' a bloody virus or something, as I belong to a generation (nineteen sixty one!) that absolutely sits and howls if anything goes wrong with a device when you press a key... and I need the iMac day and night to work. Please, if any of you have fresh news about this point, send tips. Thanks!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes go ahead & empty the Trash - i've doe it countless times & ABSOLUTELY no harm is done !
actually these are not the only ''temporary files'' ( for lack of a better denomination for them.. ) that you'l find in your iMac's trash as you use it, there are others
googled them up just to make sure but my experience is that if the computer produced them & placed them there, they are to be disposed off, no problems ! ;-)
as for getting cheap & easy peace of mind - since your kids apparently can use your computer every now & then, just keep a Time Machine going : it has saved the day on countless occasions for me & it's so dead easy it's scary !!...LOL...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.