Can I buy an iBook from anywhere?

M

Morrigan

Heya guys.

Well I'm looking at getting an iBook, but I'm moving from Australia to Italy in January.
Can you simply buy a new power adapter for the iBook for Italy or will I need to get one of those massive wall adapters?
If you CAN just get localised adapters, does this mean that theoretically, if I found a cheap iBook on Ebay from, say, the US or UK, I could simply buy that and get Aus and Italian adapters?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I guess technically you could do that just go to your apple store in aus and buy and adapter then do the same thing when you go to italy.

OP
T

Tel

I'm sure that the Apple web site store sells a set of international power adapters for a fairly reasonable price but I am unable to find them at the moment. Look into it, I'm sure they do provide them.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the adapters which you can get for the ipod charger would work with the laptop power supplies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
OK heres the deal. No matter where you buy your iBook (or any other Apple portable) in the world, it comes with a universal power supply. This means the voltage it will work under can be anywhere between 100-240V and the power adaptor will support ur computer. Most countries have either 110V (N.America) or 220V (Europe & Asia) so you will be fine. The only hassle would be a correct plug. Different countries have different socket plugs in the wall, so you may need to get a socket adaptor, which is very cheap and quite small.

So, in a nutshell, yea - you can buy an iBook in the States and use it anywhere else in the world. It does turn out to be much cheaper that way! Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting an ibook or p/book in the US because its cheaper and I travel there a little on business but I have a few other questions I hope you can answer.

1. I think the warranty is worldwide, is this correct and am I covered if I buy in the US but use it mainly outside the US?
2. Is there a difference in keyboard layout, ie symbols in different places, euro symbol etc?
3. Can I switchy a US laptop (region 1) to play region 2 DVDs without much hassle?
4. Are there any other features that differ between the US and international versions?
5. With regard to software updates would they vary between US models and international models?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.