Thunderbird for Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the Mozilla Thunder-Bird email client have any worthwhile advantages over Apple Mail?

Not as a mail client, no. However, Mozilla Thunderbird is an excellent newsreader app in addition to being an email client. It easily does NNTP (if you're into newsgroups). And of course the nice thing about it is that it's free.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Probably not. In my experience, there is nothing you can do in Thunderbird that you can't do in Mail as an email client. I can't speak to the news features that chscag can but if you don't use it, there is little reason to use it over Mail in my opinion.

Reaction score
Tweaked up Thunderbird is much better than Mail. One example is you can send a email without that empty subject reminder, better choices of stationary , insert smilies , better spam filter, the list goes on. One click to insert animated smilies

Screen shot 2010-05-29 at 5.40.50 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The most recent Thunderbird has tabs which can be nice if you have more than one email open at the same time. It also doesn't have the image attachment problems that Mail has for Windows users.

Thunderbird lets you choose to save as attachment or embed it into the email. I still get Windows users that have problems with Mail's image attachments but it works fine in Thunderbird.

Also if you go back and forth between Mac and Windows then you don't have to get used to the differences between Mail and Outlook because Thunderbird is pretty much the same on both Mac and Windows. It's also a lot easier to share saved emails between Mac and Windows if you are using Thunderbird on both.

Also like Firefox there are add-on extensions and other customizations that can be done. If you are one of those people who like more customizations then Thunderbird has it. The average user probably won't notice much of a difference though.

OP
N
Reaction score
I will stick with the Apple Mail program for now, but will keep Thunderbird in mind.

Thanks to those who replied.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thunderbird is a nice email client but at least on my Power PC G5 Macs has always seemed bloated and slow. I much prefer Mail especially after 10.5 for the normal uses of an Email client. I can make Mail do exactly what I want it to do and more with the rules. I keep Thunderbird around just in case something goes wrong (Which can happen with any application over time) but use Mail for my day to day emailing. I have it set up with 5 accounts and never have had one issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.