Airport constantly dropping out !! :(

Reaction score
Hi there.

For some reason, my airport wireless connection on my macbook pro 13 is constantly dropping out with only certain routers. This happens like every 5 minutes in my working place.

turning off and turning on airport doesn't solve the problem.
the only way I'm able to reconnect is by choosing a different wireless network that happens to be open and unprotected (otherwise I wouldn't know the password). I need to choose this network, let it settle and then choose my work's network again. that is the ONLY way I get to reconnect again.

Funny thing is, this only happens in certain places such a this one. and even weirder is the fact that my colleague, which is using a pc, never experiences this kind of problem. Me, on the other hand, not only experience it with my macbook but also with my ipod touch !

Guess this router is not very fond of apple ?

I really don't know what do. This also happened with my previous white macbook..

thanx a lot !

Ricardo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Was having similar problems...

G'Day Ricardo,

I was having similar problems with my new iMac when connecting to the internet via a LinkSys wireless router. The connection just kept dropping out every 5 minutes or so.
I followed various suggestions from this and other such forums, but all without success (changing channel number, using WPA, and so forth).
I spoke with Apple support on 3 occasions and tried heaps of suggestions, all without success.
In the end I bought a Time Capsule, plugged it in and within 5 minutes had a constant internet connection, a wireless network for home, a backup disk and enabled wireless printing to an old canon printer. All in all a good result (it was worth paying the extra for the TC so as not to experience the frustrations with the LinkSys router).
I was hoping to get a solution without having to dig deeper into my pocket, but after trying lots of suggestions, nothing seemed to work.
The TC solved it all though and I have been dropout free for the past 5 weeks.
Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.