What the Brits Think of the iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly I love the BBC, but just one thing gets my Goat about it.

They have a technology agreement with Microsoft - and while they would deny it, they consistently add a negative slant to any story on Apple.

And do not get me going on that guy (Rory Cellan-Jones). The guys regularly pops up on the BBC and has seldom said anything good about Apple. He's supposed to be a tech correspondent, but his background is economics - and frankly - he doesn't know what he is talking about.

He has been regularly critised by Stephen Fry (close friend of Hugh Laurie of House fame), so here's some balance to that Rory Cellan-Jones fellow from someone who Brits respect much, much more

Video: Stephen Fry collects his iPad and gives his verdict | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Apple iPad Launch: Will Steve Jobs' Magic Touch Return? - TIME

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow. Stephen Fry is both Apple's best advocate and worst enemy at the same time. Nothing he said made me feel like I should be compelled to pick up an iPad. Why ? Because he basically stated what I've always known about these products (iPhone, iPod, and now iPad) which is that they're not truly about function, and more about the way the tactile interaction makes you "feel". Well, that emotional charge he speaks of is true for the most part, but the problem is that unless you con yourself into thinking that you can live without the functionality you actually want.. that feeling becomes old fairly quick.

This dichotomy which Apple has created in its self contained universe of self serving instruments, tends to feel more like a jail cell once you realize that you are longing for things which only exist outside of their little bubble. And ironically enough, the only reason it works for them is because they manage to come up with a sort of balance that people feel comfortable with. It might be that some think that one day Apple will address everything they've been looking forward to, or that it's simply not worth it to switch back to the "other side" after having invested so much time and money and learning into the world of Apple.

What ever it is though... Apple sure are slick about things.

Doug

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Firstly I love the BBC, but just one thing gets my Goat about it - while they would deny it, they consistently add a negative slant to any story on Apple.

Well-spoken louishen! When it was on at a reasonable hour of the morning, I used to listen to BBC's Digital Planet. Their 'guru' (ha!) Bill Thompson could not resist making disparaging remarks about the Mac computer and Apple in general. Gareth Mitchell was more balanced, but he kow-towed to Thompson, who was simply opinionated, not expert at all.

Eventually I sent them a rocket email about their bias. Mitchell was quick to deny any favoritism, although Thompson had nothing to say. DP has broadened its approach to Apple/Mac. It has no choice really, if it wishes to remain credible.
I remember a video of Cellan-Jones sailing in a rowboat on a loch in Scotland, showing how good Apple's wifi technology was, so I don't know that he's anti-Apple, just not pro.

I think too that C-J and doug_b make good points about Apple turning its technology back toward itself. In doing so, is Apple becoming more like Microsoft? Will Apple one day (soon) face anti-competitive legal action?

For the reasons outlined in both the BBC video, and my inherent aversion to lemming-like behaviour, neither the iPad, nor the iPod, hold much interest from me personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Only got mine on Friday. So far I think it is great.

Hardly put it down since I got Home with it. Wish I could charge it while using it as the battery is getting low. Unfortunately the power socket is not close enough to where I want to use it. My Mac only charges it when it is switched off, which rather defeats the object.

Even so, the battery life is amazing compared to the iPhone. This is comparing the two with 3G turned off and WiFi turned on.

A couple of minor niggles - iTunes keeps reinstalling Apps I said I didn't want on the iPad and the icons keep auto-arranging. Is there any way to prevent that please? Can't find anything in Settings.

Reaction score
ok..why is Stephen fry an IT and gadget advocate overnight? because he got stuck in a lift and tweeted it? He isn't the poster boy I would recruit for gadgets, but perfect to be shipped off to the states in a black cab.

C

chas_m

ok..why is Stephen fry an IT and gadget advocate overnight? because he got stuck in a lift and tweeted it? He isn't the poster boy I would recruit for gadgets, but perfect to be shipped off to the states in a black cab.

Just to correct the record ... Stephen Fry has been a tech guru in various UK media for many years. I've been reading his blog and column in the Guardian for what must be at least 10 years now, and so far he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
Rory Cellan Jones uses an Apple laptop, however he does seem inclined to put the boot into Mr Jobs outfit.

The BBC is so far left of centre it may just be conceivable that Vladimir P will be the next Director General; at least he would be comfortable with the job title. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb

I would point out that Stephen Fry rather famously owned the second Apple Macintosh to reach the UK - the first being owned by his good friend (the late) Douglas Adams - author of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.