iTunes messed up my iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I bought a new iPad today, which is great.

However, when I connected to iTunes on my Mac, it deleted the apps I had installed during the setup session at Apple and then reinstalled them. Some of these now don't work.

For example, TVCatchup was working fine and now says it needs Flash, which of course I can't install on the iPad. So why did it work before I used iTunes?

Also, some Apps are the iPhone (small) versions, despite being on the iPad. I have updated since I added the iPad, but even if I try to reinstall them on the iPad, it says I already bought this. I still get the small version.

Any ideas please?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
1. Fixed the TV Catchup one - there is a separate URL for the iPhone (which I assume is a 'Flash-free' version).

2. Some of the Apps I bought again, but others still going to the small version.

3. Another problem - in iTunes I have some Apps I don't want anymore. However, whenever I delete them the iTunes store downloads them again. Is there any way to tell the Store I no longer want those Apps please?

BTW - I still think the iPad is great. Not so keen on iTunes, but the iPad is great. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Arrggghh - it is coming back again :(

Never ever buy an iTunes App you might not want. It seems to be impossible to get rid of them once you have.

I deleted the download - it got added again.

I deleted the App from iTunes - it is downloading and reinstalling.

How can I get rid of the **** thing so it stays got rid of please?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not exactly sure what is going on but you have three repositories for your APPs to consider.
1) Is the store itself which keeps a record of what you have purchased
2) Is the APP folder in iTunes
3) Is your iPad
When you sync iTunes tries to reconcile differences between them according to what it thinks is your wishes.

The easiest way to ensure an APP will be deleted and not reinstalled is to click on the Applications tab of the sync window, scroll down and uncheck the boxes for APPs you no longer want on your iPad. Click Apply and it should resync and make the changes.

If you really want to get rid of an APP, after removal from your iPad followup by deleting the APP from the APP folder in iTunes.

last, I've run into the problem with no being able to download an iPad vs when I had the iPhone vs installed, but deleting the iPhone vs from my iPad before trying to download has fixed that for me.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.