External monitor turns off/weakens wireless

Reaction score
I just bought an Asus VH-242 to run alongside my 13' 2008 white MacBook. Unfortunately when I turn it on it totally interferes with the wireless network. I pinged 8.8.8.8 and had about 86% packet loss with the average time to network around 300ms. When I turned off and unplugged the monitor, I was averaging around 5% packet loss and 20ms to 8.8.8.8. So now I have a choice - internet, or productivity, because I can't use the Internet with the new external monitor plugged in.

Has this happened to any of you? Are there any quick fixes to the problem? I'd rather not move my desk or the wireless router if I can help it. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
This is just a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like you have some RF interference. Maybe your power or video cable are unshielded. Try swapping them out with some different cables.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've seen this before with poorly shielded monitors. (Monitor radiates and interferes with Wifi signal) Sometimes a stronger WiFi signal can overcome it and other times changing the WiFi channel within the router fixes it.

Also try substituting cables as has been suggested in the previous post. However, if I were you, I would return the monitor and buy another if possible.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
I switched out the DVI cable for a different cable, which helped a little bit, but the wireless internet's still about four times as slow with the monitor plugged in. I know it's the monitor because I set up a different, unplugged in laptop next to the monitor and that one had interference as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That pretty much proves the monitor is radiating and causing interference. As I advised you in my previous post, return it and get a refund. (if possible)

Regards.

Reaction score
Go the way of the hippies and use aluminum foil to shield that monitor. Try wrapping the power/video cables in some foil and see if your reception improves. If it does, go over the aluminum foil with some tape so it doesn't look too out of place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.