• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Vlc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Hello. I tend to prefer using VLC for watching video over Quicktime and the Apple DVD player, but the last time I tried to use it I got this message:

Picture1.png

It was working fine before, and I'm not sure why it's changed now. Any advice on what's going on/how to fix it, or can you recommend a player that covers all the file extensions and isn't bulk? Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Weird! Have you tried downloading the most current version?
You can also get Perian , a Quicktime plug in, that plays virtually everything via Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What version of OSX are you running and what type of Mac do you have? Did you recently upgrade VLC? Have you changed anything else on the system recently?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What version of OSX are you running and what type of Mac do you have? Did you recently upgrade VLC? Have you changed anything else on the system recently?
I think you're thinking the same thing I am. If VLC was recently updated, it's possible that the version isn't compatible with your version of OS X which looks to be pre-10.5. Note that on the VLC website it states that 1.0.5 (the most recent version) is for 10.5+.

OP
psychohistoric
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OSX
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm running a (almost) 3-year old macbook with the original OS (Tiger, I think) and the newest version of VLC (I deleted the application and then reinstalled it when this problem first arose). I'll try Perian as Kevriano suggested, and if that doesn't work I'll see about finding an older version of VLC. I just figured the new one would be compatible with older versions of OSX as well. Thanks for your help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On the page that I linked to in my previous post, there is a download link for the "newest" version for Tiger. I say "newest" because it is a few releases behind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.