Installing Windows on Macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have been using a macbook pro for the last 4 months but wanted to install windows on it as well.

Questions: 1) XP or vista to install which is better with Mac? I have the originals & can either be upgraded to Windows7 free thru the internet & wil windows 7 work with the Mac as Bootcamp talks of only XP & Vista?
2) Intending to do it thru Boot camp which is preloaded on the Macbook pro - good or bad idea?
3) How much of hard drive partition should I keep to install windows as I will be installing office & an antivirus software on it?
4) Is it Better to install antivirus with the windows partition - as currently no antivirus installed on the Mac? If so is AVG OK?
5) Usage of windows will be limited to some access databases & excel
6) Internet thru windows will be using Safari? or will have to be thru Internet explorer?
7) Network wireless all-in-one printer HP loaded for the Mac. Will it directly work thru windows as well or does it need installing again wth the windows CD version of the printer?

Sorry too many questions at once. But not really technically savvy.

Thanks

Sunir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
1) I'm really not a fan of vista so I would go for XP, but saying that you would need to do a clean install of windows 7. Windows 7 cannot be upgraded from windows XP directly. So in that case I would be leaning more towards windows vista. Can windows XP be upgraded to windows 7?

2)I would do it throught boot camp, but I haven't explored any of the other solutions.

3) I always struggled with this and deciding how much to use. Microsoft state that Windows 7 will take up between 16 and 20 GB. (XP = 1.5GB, Vista = 15-20GB). AVG, with updates wont take up more than 100MB, so I guess then its just how much space you think you will need for all of your documents. I found that it was really annoying when I lost a large chunk of my hard drive to a windows partition when Mac is my normal OS. The question is are you ok with using an external hard drive for your windows documents, if so make the windows partition as small as you dare!

4) Yes, I really would install AVG onto the windows partition, or you will very quickly become part of a botnet.

6) On the partition you will be able to use either Safari or IE. I would recommend you use Safari (downloadable from apple.com) or firefox.

7) I believe that I am correct in saying that you will have to install the windows drivers onto the partition to get the printer to work.

Hope this all helps :)

Reaction score
Read the stickies at the top of this forum. They address most of your questions. Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
And what databases are you trying to access through Windows that you can't do in OSX?

And Excel can also be used in Mac. Microsoft Office for Mac.

And you can obviously browse the web in OSX. You don't really need Windows on your Mac.

If you're going to be running bootcamp all the time, you might as well get a PC.

Regards,

-Ben

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Ben

I need to run my access databases & analyse them for which I have tried File maker pro & others offered by Mac which are becoming too difficult to convert now. Hence the need to have some windows on my Mac. I agree Internet through Windows is not what I would be running routinely any way & the Mac should suffice for that. I am worried of the possibility of viruses with windows & hence the AVG. I do not want to compromise on the overall hard disk for the Mac & hence would use only a small partition though i am a bit concerned of loading vista which originally led to problems with my PC. Any suggestions most welcome.

Sunir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD 7200 + iPhone 4 32GB iOS4.1
So the only things you need Windows for is to run Access and Excel?

Get Microsoft Office for Mac, then you don't need to install Windows at all. If you just spent the money to buy a MBP, then use it and enjoy the experience of OSX. Otherwise, what was the point in getting a MBP in the first place?

You should definately get Office for Mac. Take a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx

Regards,

-Ben

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So the only things you need Windows for is to run Access and Excel?

Get Microsoft Office for Mac, then you don't need to install Windows at all. If you just spent the money to buy a MBP, then use it and enjoy the experience of OSX. Otherwise, what was the point in getting a MBP in the first place?

You should definately get Office for Mac. Take a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx

Regards,

-Ben

Office for Mac does NOT come with Access.

Your best bet would be to run Office via Windows, using virtualization. See this guide for more info:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.