Allowing Clients to Update

J

justinpfarrell

What is the best method for allowing your clients to update certain pages? Pages that need simple text updates like a calendar page, or events page? I do not have any php or asp experience...I was curious if there was a program that would assist me? thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
well coldfusion requires programming but that is what the professionals use. I never tried it since when I was in the business I was a freshman in HS. I am planning on re-entering that business as a senior next year, and coldfusion will be one of the first things I buy. I don't believe it is hard, it is not like just a blank document where you type, it has a interface and you can click around in it. Get a tutorial or 2 and you should be fine.

OP
D

d-funct

One way would to look around the internet for free PHP or ASP scripts for you to use ... for my site I have a news bit on the index.php that uses 'fusion news' it works really well and I found it quite easy to setup, use and maintain

hope this helps

OP
D

dziner

Another solution is to use Dreamweaver to create templates with editable regions (pretty simple to create) and have the client install Macromedia Contribute. This allows you to set editable areas for the client. The client pulls up their site within Contribute just like a web browser and can then click on an edit tab and make any changes they need, then save. It works through simple FTP so there is no need for server-side technology such as ASP or PHP and Contribute is very inexpensive.

Macromedia has a free trial plus an overview movie that you can check out for all of the features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook 1.33 G4, 768 MB RAM, 60GB HD
justinpfarrell said:
What is the best method for allowing your clients to update certain pages? Pages that need simple text updates like a calendar page, or events page? I do not have any php or asp experience...I was curious if there was a program that would assist me? thanks,
For calendar and events page, you definitely need to get a script for those. I'm sure a lot of them are available at www.hotscripts.com. you'll just have to customise the appearance and put it in your template.

As for updating text on other pages, Macromedia Contribute [http://www.macromedia.com/software/contribute/] will let you do that. Kinda pricy though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.