Managing Office Page setup

Reaction score
I am running a suite of 30 imacs running osx leopard connected to a server running leopard aswell. I am using workgroup manager and loving the restrictions I can apply to pretty much any application/feature that uses a .plist. However I am having trouble with Microsoft Office in that when it was first installed all the page setups were defaulted to US Letter and even though default paper size in preferences is now A4 all the office programs still want to default to US Letter.

I understand I could change the normal template to have A4 as default however that is a pain in the **** for 300 users, is there a plist somewhere I can force it to default to A4, I have looked in com.microsoft.word to see if I can change it from there but i cannot see the option.

Any ideas would be great as I am pulling my hair out listening to people moan about how the printer gets locked up because the paper size is wrong.

Stephen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand your network setup.... but if you have Office loaded on the server then changing the normal template would only be a one time thing.

However, if Office was installed separately on each machine, then you really have no other choice but to change the normal template for every installed copy. There is no way that I know of to set the paper to A4 as default without changing "normal.dotm".

You might want to ask the MS Mac Office experts over at the Mactopia forums if they know of another solution.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.