Airport Utility scan - no results

Reaction score
Looking for some assistance on an issue that seems to have occurred a few weeks ago, so mid-May. Upon starting up my MacBook, I was told the date/time feature had been reset to a date in the 1970s, thus indicating that things may have changed. While I have had this problem many years back on my previous iBook, this was the first time on my MacBook (~ 1.5yrs old). I reset the time and all seemed well. Over the next week I started having intermittent wireless connection issues. Upon doing an Airport Utility (5.5.1) scan, none of the base stations were found, ie. neither Airport Extreme nor Base Station. Since my printer is connected to the Airport Extreme, I was unable to print. The problem has become quite annoying to say the least, as I am receiving a wireless signal, connected online, but still Airport Extreme doesn't find the hardware. I cross checked with two other MacBooks in the building, and neither have problems and print as usual. I ran the TechTool Deluxe from my Apple Care plan and all seems fine. So in detail:

1. mid-May date change alert
2. since date change alert, airport utility doesn't recognize base stations
3. still receiving wireless signals and able to browse online, although signal can be dropped haphazardly
4. printer connected to airport extreme is not found due to above
5. more recently frequent localhost name allocation at start up
6. PS: I usually keep my icons in Finder in a list format but it changes back to icon format each time I open Finder

I don't run Bonjour nor Time Capsule, but use Time Machine as a back-up. Options I have tried:
rebooted Airport Extreme several times, but ended up having to set up using the one or the other MacBook Pro in the building, since my MacBook wouldn't go beyond recognizing the presence of the Aiport Extreme. Same issue when I tried to hardwire my MacBook to the Extreme.

My questions:
What's the deal with the Airport Utility scan? What's with the localhost allocations? And why are these issues intermittent and not continuous? What to do?

Before I reinstall my OS 10.5.8, I wanted to try this... Any leads welcome!

Anne

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.