Help - cant find iLife on my Macbook Pro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" pre-camera! Pre-Intell and still running strong!!!
I recently purchased a ALMOST new Macbook Pro 15. It's the newest model available. Problem is that it was purchased just prior to the the macbooks being released with Snow Leppard.

The original owner purchased SL and then installed it. The Macbook is AWESOME, however now I can't find ilife..... Garage Band, imovie.... etc. etc.

When you update the OS to leppard, does that mean that you then lose everything else?

HELP!

Reaction score
I recently purchased a ALMOST new Macbook Pro 15. It's the newest model available. Problem is that it was purchased just prior to the the macbooks being released with Snow Leppard.

The original owner purchased SL and then installed it. The Macbook is AWESOME, however now I can't find ilife..... Garage Band, imovie.... etc. etc.

When you update the OS to leppard, does that mean that you then lose everything else?

HELP!

You mean you downgraded from Snow Leopard to Leopard?

Regardless, you probably need to reinstall iLife '09

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It can't be the newest model because those come with Snow Leopard preinstalled. Anyway that information isn't important to your problem. Also Snow Leopard (10.6) and Leopard (10.5) are two different OS versions.

You need to ask the previous owner to give you the original system discs that came with the computer. One of them should be the OS while the other will be iLife and whatever extra software the previous owner purchased.

It sounds like the person you bought it from did a fresh install of Snow Leopard which wouldn't have iLife. If you do a fresh install then yes you lose everything. If you choose the upgrade option then it will keep everything and install Snow Leopard on top of what you currently have.

If you can't get the original discs then you will need to buy iLife if you still want it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No..no... sorry. It had leopard and then bought SL and installed it. Currently running SL and up to date. The box says it has ilife 09.

How do I re-install it??? I have the original cd's and box. Do I just get it from the "Applications Install DVD". Will it over-write what's on there now and mess anything up?

Thanks... Usually I just USE my macs and don't mess with recovering anything.... I never have to!

Reaction score
No..no... sorry. It had leopard and then bought SL and installed it. Currently running SL and up to date. The box says it has ilife 09.

How do I re-install it??? I have the original cd's and box. Do I just get it from the "Applications Install DVD". Will it over-write what's on there now and mess anything up?

Thanks... Usually I just USE my macs and don't mess with recovering anything.... I never have to!

Applications Install DVD has all the Mac OS X applications. I think it includes iLife.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I think there is a more recent version. The model that I have is a:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Serial Number (system): W8931K3T7XJ
Hardware UUID: 6CB9B4DD-C391-5D98-A028-60B31431971B
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Software is:
Mac OS X
Version 10.6.3

Help?

And yes, I have all the disks. I'm sure that he did a fresh install. Again, I have the original disks.... Am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just put the Applications disk in and install iLife from there. It won't harm what you have installed already. There a bound to be updates too so run Software Updater once installled

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soooo..... just the standard install and let it run???

sorry to be such an idiot. when I was in the PC world, you really had to worry about over-lapping installs....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Just be aware of what you are installing. It should give you a choice of what to install. Since you don't already have iLife then you shouldn't be installing over anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.66Ghz C2D 4GB ram 320GB HDD
You should have two CDs/DVDs one says "install" and the other should say "applications" you don't need to re-install snow leopard to get iLife :) just pop in the application disc and follow the prompts to get ilife :)

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.