Help!!! Preview is killing me!!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to throw my macbook out the window! I run Snow Leopard. I annotate in preview and have this on going issue with it.

Sometimes I put a text box in it and I save and everything is fine. then I add another text box elsewhere in the document, put text in it, click save, and EVERY TEXT addition I've made to the document will disappear! It is infuriating! There is no rhyme or reason to it!!

Or is there?

If anyone can help I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks,

Murray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Hi Murray Welcome to the Forum. What type of doc are you having trouble with? Just tried it with a screenshot and it would save annotations each time no problem.

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi,

I'm about to throw my macbook out the window!

How far can you throw? I'll be in York (UK) this weekend - I'll keep a sharp lookout for flying macbooks.:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Collin,

thanks for getting back to me.

I've attached the document that is giving me troubles (as a screen shot). You'll see there is a name field and a date field. I may get the name and dat written on the doc and save ok. then I'll ad a box of text just under the date and below the human figure and bam, as I save all added text will disappear.

I can add arrows, boxes, circles .... all are ok. But the above is a great example. If you'd like more detail, or an original to play with, let me know.

thanks again!

Murray

Screenshot.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where is the attachment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Muzz have you clicked on the icon and select 'Get Info/Permissions' to see if u have read write privileges? It may even be password protected.

OP
M
Reaction score
Attached as thumbnail at bottom of my last post.

Would it help if I emailed a doc that I'm trying to edit to see if one of you can do it?

I checked "get info" - it's on read and write, and doesn't appear to be password protected as the "enter password" option is greyed out.

Really confused. Usually I spend three hours trying to add text that takes me 10mins, it's just the that the rest of the time is spent with me re-entering inof as some text goes missing when I save, then all of it, then some, then all of it. And it continues like this until for a reason I have yet to decipher I push save and surprise! It save all my changes. If I edit those again though I could be in for another 3 hours of fixing as the whole lot may disappear, or not. I never know.

Totally perplexed.....

Appreciating the help and suggestions guys :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Now the attachment is showing up. It was not when I posted.

Let me check it. I tried what you wrote and was able to save over and over and nothing was lost.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't do much of what you are doing, but I use Skim when I do.
Designed specifically for annotating.

You might want to give it a try - link.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi ,

dtravis, thanks for trying it out yourself. If it worked for you, do you have any idea why it may not be for me?

bobtomay, I'll look into it thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.