ecc ram melting

Reaction score
Oki doke, i use boot camp more than osx as of now (For its graphic ability's )
But man!, guys the ram is smoking hot, i ran prime 95 and the ram hit 82C after one hour thirty minutes.

Then i stare at the mac pro anticipating the fans cutting on..It stares back at me silent, cooking on the inside. How much heat will it take? how long will my overpriced ECC ram last under these conditions. I just finished a 40 minute segment of empire total war and were talking about 77C.

CPU temps seem decent on idle 49C, with heavy load 70c still no sign of fan relief.

So all mac geeks, feel me in, whats going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How about resetting the SMC - have you tried that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you reached in and touched the RAM itself to see if it's really that hot? Could just be that the reading is incorrect (I'm assuming you're running the temp monitoring app in Windows, in which case it should be pointed out that the accuracy of those programs is questionable on a Mac).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not only questionable, I've yet to run across a Windows monitoring app (including Motherboard Monitor) that gave accurate readings for any Mac.

I agree with Kash, it's unlikely the memory modules are hot to that extent. At least not without the machine shutting down because of an overheated CPU.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Not only questionable, I've yet to run across a Windows monitoring app (including Motherboard Monitor) that gave accurate readings for any Mac.

I agree with Kash, it's unlikely the memory modules are hot to that extent. At least not without the machine shutting down because of an overheated CPU.

Regards.

From my experience, the ram temps were pretty high under osx also, the cpu temps were much cooler under osx tho. I'm gonna reset the smc fan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Just to be sure, is this an older Mac Pro? The older Mac Pros required special RAM with built-in heat sinks. Regular ECC modules will run too hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.