Random Question

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am new to the Mac forums, first time poster here. I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or if a thread containing this subject already exists.

Anyways, here it goes.

I have had my Macbook Pro for about two years now, everything runs good, I still very much enjoy it(Mac for life!!!). I was curious if I could trade it in to Apple to "upgrade" to the newest model of macbook pro. Mine is currently the model right before the one thats out now. If anyone could please provide me with an answer to this I'd appreciate it. I don't want to pay for a "whole new computer", just would like to upgrade if possible.

Thanks again to whoever may help me out with this!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have had my Macbook Pro for about two years now, everything runs good, I still very much enjoy it(Mac for life!!!). I was curious if I could trade it in to Apple to "upgrade" to the newest model of macbook pro.

Welcome to Mac-Forums!:)

Regarding your question...What computer company or electronics store allows someone to trade in their old computer towards the purchase of a new computer? I haven't heard of any "big players" doing this...maybe there is the odd small store that does it.

Believe me if this were possible I would have been doing it long ago. Apple doesn't do this...and I don't think many if any other stores do it.:(

The best you can do if you want to upgrade...is sell your old computer & put the money towards a new one.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums!:)

Regarding your question...What computer company or electronics store allows someone to trade in their old computer towards the purchase of a new computer? I haven't heard of any "big players" doing this...maybe there is the odd small store that does it.

Believe me if this were possible I would have been doing it long ago. Apple doesn't do this...and I don't think many if any other stores do it.:(

The best you can do if you want to upgrade...is sell your old computer & put the money towards a new one.

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks! :) and thanks for the fast response! I can't believe I haven't found/looked for these forums a long long time ago!!

I figured there was no such thing... I was just curious and figured I'd ask. However, I found this on apples website, which is why I asked, because I never heard of this, and if its actually a good deal or if you get ripped off...

Apple Recycling Program

Basically like turning your computer in to them and they send you a card of what your computer is worth.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! :) and thanks for the fast response! I can't believe I haven't found/looked for these forums a long long time ago!!

I figured there was no such thing... I was just curious and figured I'd ask. However, I found this on apples website, which is why I asked, because I never heard of this, and if its actually a good deal or if you get ripped off...

Apple Recycling Program

Basically like turning your computer in to them and they send you a card of what your computer is worth.

Actually this program does seem a bit interesting...but I'm guessing that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Go to the link you supplied above...and click on the "Get Started" button.

Enter your MacBook Pro's specs...and you will get an instant quote. But realize that the "PowerON" folks who do the "recycling" will need to make a profit...so the quote you get is probably going to be lower than it's true value if you sold it on your own.

This is sort of a "trade-in" program like you suggested in your initial posting (except Apple likes to call it a "recycling program"). It's not a traditional trade-in program like someone might expect, where you walk into a store with your used computer...they give you it's value & you give them your computer, you spend it immediately, and walk out with a new computer.

If the quote you get is acceptable...then go for it! Thanks for mentioning it. :)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hey everybody, I am new to the Mac forums, first time poster here. I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or if a thread containing this subject already exists.

One more: generic title

If everyone posting thought they had a "Random Question" it would be difficult to distinguish the threads if they were all so titled. Please use descriptive titles. It helps everyone, including you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I know Sony has a trade-in program. Obviously all companies doing this have to make a profit but sometimes its nice to just get the money and not have to deal with the trouble of selling your item, especially with eBay. eBay can be a real pain sometimes.

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
One more: generic title

If everyone posting thought they had a "Random Question" it would be difficult to distinguish the threads if they were all so titled. Please use descriptive titles. It helps everyone, including you. :)

Yeah sorry, I wasn't sure if it was the right place to even post it, so I titled it that. Should of been more descriptive, my bad!:)

I know Sony has a trade-in program. Obviously all companies doing this have to make a profit but sometimes its nice to just get the money and not have to deal with the trouble of selling your item, especially with eBay. eBay can be a real pain sometimes.

I usually use Craigslist, but so many scams and b.s. emails now that it gets annoying, and its not always easy to sell. I like to buy off ebay but selling is lame since they take a small % of what you make. I might try out that link I posted above see what its all about with the who "recycle" thing. Like I said I just want a new mac, nothing wrong with mine at all. I just don't want to take a huge loss or get screwed over on what its worth, ya know..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might try out that link I posted above see what its all about with the who "recycle" thing.

If you haven't already done it...go to the link you posted above in your original message...and get an "Instant Quote". It only takes about 2 seconds after entering your current computers info. Then you can see if that value is acceptable.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
FYI Have been watching our local auction site and the Apple listings have jumped from 8-900 to 1400 this year since the new models have come out and most laptops are listed at a price that simply won't sell.
Folks think that the sale price relates to what they paid, but the only ones selling are the realistically priced and $1 reserve which all get to round $300-400 less than the general listing price.
So don't expect heaps from the `Recycler' - they will know what they can sell for with a profit.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So don't expect heaps from the `Recycler' - they will know what they can sell for with a profit.

I was actually VERY surprised by what the "Recycler" (associated with Apple in the link above) will pay for the OP's MacBook Pro. I did an "Instant Quote" based on what info I could glean from the OP's original post...and it gave an instant quote of something like $650 dollars.

The OP's computer isn't really that old (I think less than 2 years)...so it very well could be worth more than $650...but I was still pleasantly surprised that they would offer that much.

I would guess that the OP's computer is probably worth at least a couple hundred more...and of course this is where the recycler is making their profit.

So the choice's are...take the fast & easy $650...or sell it yourself and get closer to $800+ for it.

- Nick

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
Picture6-1.png

Upsetting... :(

**( I wasn't sure about that whole "unibody" thing. I know its 2.4ghz and all that and 15" screen display, but was confused with the "random code/numbers".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The better question is what makes you think that your current core 2 duo machine isn't doing the job? Wait until you can't do what you want to do with it anymore and THEN upgrade. I guarantee the new MBPs that will be out then will be better than the ones out now. Keep your computer, save your money, buy something when you actually NEED it.

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
The better question is what makes you think that your current core 2 duo machine isn't doing the job? Wait until you can't do what you want to do with it anymore and THEN upgrade. I guarantee the new MBPs that will be out then will be better than the ones out now. Keep your computer, save your money, buy something when you actually NEED it.

You are absolutely right. I just have this little problem... Whenever my model isn't the newest I get urges to go out and by the latest and greatest, not matter what it is.. It's a bad habit. But yeah, good point!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Upsetting... :(

Like I said MUCH earlier in this thread..."if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is".

There is absolutely no way to expect that you would get anywhere close to what your MacBook Pro is worth from any online retailer or "recycler"! They need to make their profit...which in some cases is a lot more that you might think.

What you may not know is...these guys pay you a lot less than it's worth...AND the purchase price they charge generally is higher than it's actual true value. So they sort of are "double-dipping" when it come to profit.

Go to almost any online retailer selling used Macintosh computers...and you will find that the prices are absolutely ridiculous!:(

Your best bet is to keep what you have...or sell it yourself to get maximum dollars.

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The better question is what makes you think that your current core 2 duo machine isn't doing the job? Wait until you can't do what you want to do with it anymore and THEN upgrade.

GREAT advice! There really is no need to upgrade as long as the computer is doing everything asked of it in a satisfactory manner!:)

The "hassle" of selling a used computer...or the less than expected dollar value of a used computer towards the purchase of a new computer...is usually the "reality check" most folks run into in this situation.

- Nick

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
Thanks Pigoo3, I appreciate your good advice and responses. I want a new iMac as well, so maybe buying one of those and keeping this laptop will do, since yourself and DarkestRitual stated its just as good still. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Pigoo3, I appreciate your good advice and responses. I want a new iMac as well, so maybe buying one of those and keeping this laptop will do, since yourself and DarkestRitual stated its just as good still. :)

Just trying to help.:)

I've been down exactly the same road as you were thinking about going (selling your current computer to help finance the purchase of a newer or new computer)...so many times I couldn't even give you an exact number!;)

I think that keeping your current laptop as your "portable" computer is a great idea. As far as the iMac...why do you want an iMac? What can the iMac do that your laptop cannot do? Unless you have more then one computer user in your home...and simply need two computers for two users.

This of course is looking at things from the "logical" & financial point of view...I can TOTALLY understand wanting some thing just for the fun of it!!!:)

- Nick

OP
Hockey13Playa
Reaction score
Just trying to help.:)

I've been down exactly the same road as you were thinking about going (selling your current computer to help finance the purchase of a newer or new computer)...so many times I couldn't even give you an exact number!;)

I think that keeping your current laptop as your "portable" computer is a great idea. As far as the iMac...why do you want an iMac? What can the iMac do that your laptop cannot do? Unless you have more then one computer user in your home...and simply need two computers for two users.

This of course is looking at things from the "logical" & financial point of view...I can TOTALLY understand wanting some thing just for the fun of it!!!:)

- Nick
Yeah I got a lot of up coming things I need the extra money for anyways, so its better I don't update the MBP. As far as the iMac goes, just because I don't really have a desktop computer, I have a Micro... ehh I don't wanna even say that name computer in my house lol. But I'd like an iMac for the bigger screen and what not. nice to have a laptop and desktop. Those are a pretty penny too so I'll probably hold off for now. Definitely both are wants not needs!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as the iMac goes, just because I don't really have a desktop computer,

But I'd like an iMac for the bigger screen and what not. nice to have a laptop and desktop. Those are a pretty penny too so I'll probably hold off for now. Definitely both are wants not needs!

You can always turn your laptop into a "desktop". Rather than spending $1000-$1500 on a new iMac...you could just plug into your laptop a monitor & keyboard you probably already own...or at most spend $150-$250 for a decent 24" monitor.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.