soloution to auido in/out port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
First post!!
Hey guys so I just recently got my first 13" macbook (2009 model) and my biggest gripe about it is that the audio in and out is just one port. You can specify in system preferences which but what if you want to hook a mic up and headphones? For example recording in Garageband how can I listen to a loop and record through a mic?
I'm impressed by all that apple does but this one port idea was a bad one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
External Audio Interface...

The one Slydude posted looks like it would work. But there are many higher quality choices to choose from.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have a $49 Creative Labs external USB card card which works well. I bought it to connect my speakers without having an extra cord on my desk. It connects via a USB hub.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These all look like good solution but would I be able to get sound from the mac through headphones instead of right off the mixer? For example, to hear a loop? If its going through the usb port I'm thinking it might work but I don't know.

OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
applebanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^That doesn't have a link that goes with it though?
anyone else have the new unibody with one audio port that they have a solution to?

Reaction score
Do like the others said and get an external audio interface. It will have a headphone/output port on it. So everything u need will be on that interface, and yes the majority of them are usb.

Reaction score
I have just bought the macbook pro 13" and have the same issue. After some quick reading you need a usb or firewire hub to do the job properly.

I think you may be able to use the mini jack port as an input and play thru the speakers, but how 1/2 @ss'd is that? Very disappointing from Apple for mine.

I did find these sites but still researching what to do. I do like the idea of a separate hub so I don't kill my mac if I rock out and yank the plug - but USB mic's have a slower latency than firewire (i.e. delay signal) and Firewire are expensive!

Check this out
Connecting a keyboard, guitar and microphone in GarageBand

Audio Interface Comparison Chart by TweakHeadz Lab

I'd love someone to clear this up, while the Behringer FCA202 looks like a good cheap option it says it has no pre-amp... *** does that mean?

Help!

Reaction score
USB mic's have a slower latency than firewire (i.e. delay signal)

Help!

It might be a bit delayed on screen but it won't be delayed in what u hear. (While recording.) So u won't notice it while recording unless u r looking at the screen.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - so do I need anything more that the audio interface?

I am particularly interested in the behringer as it is cheap, simple and small. It says it has no preamp, but I don't know if that is an issue -i.e. meaning you need another piece of equipment.

Reaction score
If u plan on using a condensor mic then u will need a preamp. So my advice would be 2 go ahead and get one with a pre amp. Or u might be able 2 find a cheap pre amp. Even though U don't really want 2 go cheap. What is your price range that u are looking 2 spend this device here has a good pre amp on it. I have used this in a couple of different people's studio's and was very impressed.

M-AUDIO - Fast Track - Record Guitar and Vocals on Your Computer

And the good thing is it is only $149.99

The best info that we will need 2 suggest devices would be

1. How many inputs do u need? (How many instraments will be recording simultaneously)

2. What is your budget?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.