macbook pro 17 airport issue - does not connect AT ALL

Reaction score
hi guys, im using a macbook pro 17 with macOSX 10.5.8.

My airport used to work perfectly fine, when i bought the laptop ages ago. It started giving me problems at home, it connected for a while, the disconnected and said "no airport card installed" i restarted and it ran again for an hour or so before saying the same thing. But when i took it to uni it was fine - weirdly enough. However now it has given up altogether.

Previously it would work when i restarted it. It would connect to a network - At home it would connect for a while then disconnect itself, if i was elsewhere it would work as normal. Now it doesn't work at all. Whenever i go to the airport icon - its blank and says "No airport card installed" It used to say this, but when i restarted it used to work - now though it doesn't. Can anyone help me please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and let's see what it reports back. Your airport card may have died, and if that's the case can be replaced as a do it yourself project.

A new airport card can be purchased from and installed with step by step instructions provided by the ifixit web site. iFixit: The free repair manual

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
would help if i had the cd....i cannot b bothered with the hassle.. anyone want to buy it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
would help if i had the cd....i cannot b bothered with the hassle.. anyone want to buy it?

That's not much of a response. I guess if you can't be bothered with trying to repair an expensive machine, then perhaps you might as well sell it. Make sure you let everyone know about the airport problem and that you do not have the original install media.

Also, this is not the correct forum to sell anything. Post it in the BST forum.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
lol yes, you're right. It was a bit of a pathetic response, i'm just a bit sick of not being able to go on the internet on my beloved mac. Could you possibly send me a link for the new airport card id need, and ill buy it and get it put in. Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to this LINK. Note that the airport card is for a 13" MBP. You'll need to backtrack to where you put in your model number, then select the airport card for your 17" MBP. The price should be around the same = $49.00 plus SH.

However, you really need to make sure it's the airport card. Refer back to my first reply.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
thanks chscag you've been very helpful. Ill try checking (somehow) it is the the airport card at fault.. would a full reboot do the trick? if i go to pc world and buy OS, give it a clean reboot and check? what do you recommend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.