firewire target disk mode

B

bLake

hello, i just recently got an ibook and i love it : )

i read in the user's guide about the firewire target disk mode, where another computer can see your ibook as a hard disk. just to make sure, cuz it doesnt explicitly say, i can hook it up to a PC like this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The main problem with using Target Disk mode with a PC is format. The iBook's hard disk will be formatted using HFS+ ("Mac OS Extended.") Windows understands only FAT and NTFS formatted disks, not HFS+.

There are utilities that allow Windows to mount HFS+ disks, and I'd be interested to know if one of those would help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
First both systems would have to have a firewiare port. As for your question. I don't think you iBook will be able to see your PC. Your PC seeing the iBook, I don't know about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't believe it is possible I rembember hearing that both computers have to be running OS 10.0.x or higher

Edit: I would be interested In knowing how it turns out if you try it, so let us know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.