How to save photos in a location that is accessible with uploading on websites

Reaction score
I just bought my macbook pro yesterday and got a free printer and ipod touch!! This is my first macbook and i am still getting used to the new os and everything that comes with it. One the first things i had to do was sell an item on ebay. I had to upload an image from my mac to the website so people could view it. My problem comes that when i was browsing through the folders to find my picture, the iPhoto was sort of grayed out meaning i couldnt click it to find my pictures there. FYI I am using iPhoto to upload my images on the my iphone that i used to take a picture of the item. Can anyone please tell me where these save so i can access them to upload on sites? Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Create a folder and save them there before or after you import to iPhoto or Export from iPhoto to, say, the Desktop and use them from there. The latter method has the advantage that you can export from iPhoto in a smaller size acceptable to ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
And, just a note, since you say you are new to macs. If you want to use iPhoto, you must stay out of the iPhoto library in Finder. iPhoto organizes things for you (brilliantly, I might add) and if the user changes anything in that file/folder, iPhoto will not be able to find the photos you want. Do all of your organizing, editing, etc. from within the app itself. Use Albums, Smart Albums, Folders, Events, keywords, etc. to manage your photos. Really easy, and then really easy to find what you want.

In response to your question, in addition to the advice Sawday gave, you can also drag a photo from iPhoto to your desktop and upload from there. Or, use the export function (to export to your desktop), and you will be asked for what size you want to use. Helpful when you only want a small file.

Welcome to macs! Glad to have you aboard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
There's no need to drag anything to the desktop or any other folder from iPhoto. If you want to upload a picture to a website, you can do so with the picture still in iPhoto. You'll just have to look in a slightly different place.

When the Finder window appears for you to select the file you want to upload, look in the side bar to the left. You should see a section called Media toward the bottom. If you don't see it scroll down. From there you should see three options: Music (your iTunes collection), Photos (your iPhoto library), and Movies (your Movies folder as well as videos you may have In iTunes or iPhoto). Click on Photos and from there you should be able to get the picture you want to upload from your iPhoto library. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
There's no need to drag anything to the desktop or any other folder from iPhoto. If you want to upload a picture to a website, you can do so with the picture still in iPhoto. You'll just have to look in a slightly different place.

When the Finder window appears for you to select the file you want to upload, look in the side bar to the left. You should see a section called Media toward the bottom. If you don't see it scroll down. From there you should see three options: Music (your iTunes collection), Photos (your iPhoto library), and Movies (your Movies folder as well as videos you may have In iTunes or iPhoto). Click on Photos and from there you should be able to get the picture you want to upload from your iPhoto library. Good luck!

Wow, using mac's for three years and never noticed that. Awsome info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In iPhoto 09 version 8.1.2 seems the media scene is different. Using File/Export/Webpage gives this;

Click for full size

But rather that deal with all those settings i use this;

Select Photo or Photos that you want to send/post and then click the Email icon bottom Right.
That gives 4 size choices and then sets them in a blank email page. If i am posting to auction site i drag it/them to desktop and set the upload from the desktop. If not then they can be emailed directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Thanks

I'm so glad I joined this group. I have been trying to figure out how to access my iphoto to send pictures. I even asked at my one-to-one session. No one had a good answer until now. I just tried it out and it's exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks so much. I knew there had to be an easier way. It's a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Or right click the iphoto library and select "show package contents"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can do it that way but I would advise against it. You can cause some problems with your library if you mess with the wrong file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. Shortly after I bought my MacBook in 2008, I remember wanting to upload a picture from my iPhoto library. I went into the Finder and realized that I couldn't click on the iPhoto icon to select my pictures. I ended up doing what other in this thread suggested at first (i.e. copy the picture to the desktop and upload from there) and couldn't help but wonder why Apple would make it so difficult to do something like that, given how well thought out the rest of the operating system is. A while later, I'm not sure how long exactly, I noticed the media option in the sidebar and realized what idiot I had been. Of course Apple thought about how to upload files from your iPhoto library to the web! Like many things in OS X, it's possible. You just have to not expect it to work the Windows way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

Thumbs up from me too on this one. Thanks J.Fo .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.